When a plan comes together
I promise I'll stop blogging so much soon. I've got so much free time on my hands these days, and I'm not quite ready to write an article. Soon, grasshoppers, soon.
I went out with some pals last night in the ATL. The afternoon was spent shopping with the girls, and then the boys (ok, husbands) showed up later and we all went out to eat. Over the course of the day, one of my new single ATL acquaintances decided that we needed to go out and hit clubs and bars immediately. I agreed readily, but wondered at her rather intense eagerness.
She explained: "I've forgotten how to flirt. I'm completely out of my depth with men. I can't get it together. Last man I chatted with in a bar I called 'tedious' to his face."
I laughed and said I wasn't sure how I could help, because I had only the week before told a boy in a bar that I thought I had likely babysat for him at some point. Not good.
She shook her head and explained her strategy:
1. She's a short brunette with, for want of a clearer term, a nice rack. I am a tall blonde with more happening in the stems department. We're a good set. (I raised an eyebrow at this for a moment and asked, "wait, what do you mean by set?" She meant we both "bring something to the table." Hmmm.)
2. She's funny--like comedy writer / has books funny--and I'm occasionally amusing. We are fun to talk to. With both of us there, neither of us can unleash our substantial scorn without a witness. This might tame our shrewishness, at least temporarily.
3. We both hold our drinks well and will not make "spectacles" of ourselves.
What do you think? Is this a plan? Should alterna-brunette and WASPy girl go out with their plunging necklines and Inappropriately Short Skirts and hit the 404? We'll see soon enough, chickens. I feel like I've been recruited for the varsity squad. Of something.


10 Comments:
Ahhh. Go for it. It makes me miss the summer I spend running around with you in DC, although I don't have the rack that it sounds like this girl has.
y'all sound like a pair. I give your friend kudos for calling a spade a spade with "tedious" - just cuz she hasn't met her flirting match doesn't mean she doesn't know how to flirt. Have fun!
I gotta say if she is calling a guy "tedious" she simply didn't want to talk to him anymore. That has nothing to do with flirting. Unless she typically flirts with deaf mute folks. Of course I can't throw any stones here.
MA--that was fun! See what you can accomplish when you decide to tie one on!?!?
Mood--We might be just that. She calls 'em like she sees 'em. I'm far more polite but then I snap. Alas!
Cliffy--Yeah, you got nothing. She seems to think that we'll help each other's game. games. whatever. We could both use a nice night out and some friendly attention, I think. Chicks, man.
Wonder twin powers activate! Form of a...
Hell, I've got nothing. So, do these men have any snappy comebacks? Or do they just walk away with their tail between their legs?
Please cast your mind back a few years and remember how much free beer our two blonde/two brunette, two tall/two small combo pulled down.
Of course you should go.
LC--the babysitting gig laughed because he knew I was right. No idea about tedious man.
JB--Ah yes, the epic evening of poetry scrawled on napkins and
"does what happen in DC stay in DC?" "No."
Hell, yes, you should. I've almost forgotten how much fun it can be to get all dolled up and take your show on the road. I look forward to hearing all about it.
As long as you aren't anyone's wingwoman, you're in good shape. A Megarita is never a wingwoman. ;)
I've found that evenly matched women of beauty are like criptonite (sp) to men. They will then be twice the level of freaking out about rejection.
Now, I have found it better, for me, a moderately attractive woman, to go out with a hottie.
She attracts the big boys, and I got to snag the best (and ultimately more delicious.intelligent.funny) wing man.
Just a plan I used to use...
Post a Comment
<< Home