The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Finally, a movie for us

To distract myself from the sudden evaporation of my Thanksgiving plans (fear not, I have plans B and C in action, plus I bought all the fixings for myself so that I can have leftovers no matter where I end up), I lured some pals out for a matinee. We ended up at Stranger than Fiction--in spite of my alluring references to Casino Royale--and we had a BLAST.

Now, I don't know whether this would work for everyone, but we were 5 english profs in a row, wolfing down goobers, popcorn, sodas, and slurpees, and howling at the movie's lovely send-up of authors, characters, plot, and literature professors. Honestly, we were the only ones laughing a solid 50% of the time. As we left the theater, one of our group said, "Finally! A movie for us!" We laughed, we cried, we were thoroughly enamored.

For the rest of you? Will Farrell is amusing, Maggie Gyllenhall is her usual beautiful self (I'm entranced by this woman, perhaps even more than I am by Angelina Jolie. I love her husband, too, and have fleeting thoughts about becoming friends, or perhaps more than friends, with the both of them. Ahem. Back to the film.), and Emma Thompson is quite lovely. The plot? Pretty well telegraphed. The best part to me was Dustin Hoffmann's Professor of Literary Theory. He tries to talk Farrell through what kind of story he's in--is it a fairy tale? a comedy? a tragedy?--and has a deliciously cold-hearted approach to the fact that poor Will is subject to some cruel author's machinations. Gorgeous.

Empty? Sure. Entertaining? Absolutely. Matinee? Yep.

I'm sneaking into Casino Royale tomorrow afternoon. That was to be one of the highlights of my previously scheduled programming, so I'm going to see it by myself anyway. Otherwise the terrorists win, you see.

7 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger susan said...

I saw Casino Royale last night. I've not been all gung-ho ecstatic about the previous Bond films, but I liked this one a lot. Very entertaining. And if your jaw isn't on the floor during the first major chase/fight scene, then you have been exposed to way too many "xtreme" sporty-type things...or something.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

I *heart* Daniel Craig so much. And I can't wait to see stranger than fiction as well.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

I saw Stranger than Fiction last week, and found some strange liquidy discharge coming out of my eyes at some points. Last night I saw Let's Go to Prison, which, actually, was also surprisngly good.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Susan--I am a complete fool for these films. I blame my father, who was convinced that he had a son. I've seen more war films, westerns, and action/adventure films than any other woman alive, I'm convinced. (I know, how is this woman single???)

MA--Catching the 4:45 with another man, I'm happy to announce.

JB--I had some heavy blinking action, too. "Must not weep in front of co-workers!" I know not this "prison"? I want to see Flushed Away.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Megan said...

Yeah, how the hell are YOU still single? If amazing women like you still are, I fear that the terrorists have indeed won.

I might be the only American alive who has never seen a Bond film. (And this might explain why I'M single.)

I'm so happy that Stranger than Fiction was a good one. I think I might catch a matinee myself tomorrow. (I have the entire week off for the holiday. I know...don't hate me.)

And about Thanksgiving...you can always make a trip to CA. I don't cook, but for you I'd actually make the effort.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

I need to see Casino Royale. If you haven't seen The Prestige, try and check that one out.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Claven said...

Eh, don't worry. My sister gets drawn into Bond Week all the time. She even saw Casino Royale on Saturday. She too, is single.

As to your post, I believe the correct praise is "I laughed. I cried. It was much better than Cats. I'll see it again, and again."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home