The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

When Killer Whales . . . Attack


I feel rather bad.

My very posh aunt had to go to Sea World with her husband's grandkids this past weekend (My response? "Can you film this experience? 'Cause I'd like to watch you get splashed by Shamu.")

Turns out Shamu had his own plans.

The big fella grabbed his trainer by the foot and held him under. Twice. Apparently the trainer just barely got out after "soothing" Shamu. (Story here. Right next to the 11 year old getting tazered by an ATL cop. The elderly and the young are IN FOR IT! 404 represent!)

I shuddered all over when I read this story. It's a dirty, scary way to kill someone. That's one highly trained mammal. Who is large and carnivorous. More upsetting? Checking out Shamu's webpage, which features a little Shamu who watches you click on various options. It's unsettling, particularly given the fact that he just tried to off the very nice man from LA listed in the sidebar. Who knows what he'll do to me . . . virtually?

Maybe it's all the Agatha Christie I've been reading? (read 10 Little Indians cover to cover before bed last night--that's a scary book!) I think Shamu's up to something nefarious. And I wouldn't want to be the one who had to stop him. That's an angry beastie.

8 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

In my mind, I'm picturing your aunt sitting next to a bunch of terrified children who emit piercing screams as Shamu tries to off his trainer.

Maybe Shamu is oppressed. Maybe he's trying to overthrow "the man."

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger m.a. said...

I think that JB is on to something. Perhaps Shamu was angry with his trainer for squashing his hollywood or rocknroll dreams. Do we know the real Shamu? Do we understand his thoughts or feelings. I don't blame him at all. Maybe he was meant to spend his life in the ocean, not in an oversided pool.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Claven said...

I've seen many small sharks in the ocean (only a few miles from Shamu's spot...and at a very nice La Jolla resort no less). But the sight on an orca would make me soil myself. You gotta see video of them tossing seals around and tearing them apart. At least sharks tend to get it done quickly.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Grad School Reject said...

I love Ten Little Indians, but when I bought it years ago it had the more PC title: And Then There Were None. Either way it is a cool-ass book.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Megarita said...

jB--I've no doubt he's ripe for revolution.

MA--No doubt that Shamu has always had other dreams, other ambitions. Less synchronized swimming, more shredding of seals.

Claven--they are enormous, clever killing machines. And yet he tried to smother the trainer, not pop him as a snack. He's up to something.

GSR--I know! I had no intentions of finishing the book, but next thing I knew I was done. Easily my favorite of hers, at least as far as I can remember. I'm loving the process of rereading her. Nasty old bag, but a nice little writer.

 
At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is this...like the 10th Shamu? The original Shamu would've never acted this way. Killer whales are just so hard to understand these days. I think it is all that rap music.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Chimmy--I was wondering that as well! Maybe this is "the revenge" Shamu. Sequels always turn ugly.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

You know, you can unsettle/confuse the whale and make it swim away and come back if you move the mouse quickly in circles around it. I think this only makes Shamu angrier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home