The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Gobbling

I realized a dark secret this week. I love Thanksgiving for the food. I'm going to someone else's house for Thanksgiving--can't bring more than an app--and I still spent the past few days roasting a turkey, making my mom's sausage stuffing, and mashing some yukon golds.

This seems excessive, no? I'm not having people here. But this way I have leftovers all weekend long. My stuffing got cleared out last time, as did my mashers. Not this time. Oh no. I have formed a carbohydrate fort around my house.

I have always had a weak spot for warm salty carbs (unnecessary Butthead laugh). Nothing says comfort food like these dishes. And that's exactly what I want for the next four days: comfort. I'm pondering an emergency run further south to do a turkey drop at my father's on Friday, since even I cannot consume an entire turkey by myself, but I'm worried I might try. (Note to others: I roasted my bird on a bed of celery and onions and stuck a whole onion in the cavity, then covered the whole bird with unsalted butter and a bit of salt and pepper. 325 for 4+hours. IT IS DELICIOUS. Savory in a way i hadn't anticipated. My gift to you.)

I've decided that this Thanksgiving, food is also love. I'm thankful for something, I'm sure, but right now all i can think about is how to get the turkey smell out of my hair. Happy Gobbling, all.

7 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger m.a. said...

You know, some reader will want to marry you based on this post. Wait, I think that that would be me.

Haha. Happy Thanksgiving, dear.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Grad School Reject said...

Why would you want to get the turkey smell out of your hair?

Unless what you also mean is that you don't want to have to beat away many male admirers with a stick.

Calvin Klein should seriously think about that as his new fragrance.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger susan said...

I could see wanting to get turkey farm smell out of your hair, but roasted turkey smell? I mean, I guess if it's just making you constantly hungry...

Have a lovely Thanksgiving. :)

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

I intend to be burried with a casserole full of your sausage stuffing, much as the Egyptian pharohs were burried with food and unguents to take with them to the underworld.

Happy Thanksgiving. Don't get syphilis.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

MA--I'm accepting offers.

GSR--It lends me a certain hi-pro glow. Some think it looks greasy, but I prefer to think of the look as "gleaming."

Susan--Thanks! To you as well.

JB--That's a new one! but didn't my stuffing give you syphilis a few years back??? All the more gratifying!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Megan said...

Forget my aunt's house, I'm making a trip to GA to feast on your gratifying meal! Sounds delicious. I've never tried cooking a turkey before. I've always gone to other people's houses for Thanksgiving. I might try to do one for an early Christmas feast. (I say "early" because we always do a traditional Mexican dinner for Christmas. I mean, this is SoCal after all. The Mexican food here is better than in Mexico!)

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shanonymous said:


Hey Martha. Nice breasts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home