The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Aw damn, I'm a curmudgeon . . .

Welcome back from the carbfest, party people!

I read about the latest findings on caffeine abuse in the paper on Sunday and nodded sagely. This is never a good sign. Whenever I get this cocky I should just turn to the back of the arts section and try to do the NY Times crossword and put myself in my place.

Students, residents, long-haul truckers, and hipsters under 21 all share a propensity toward caffeine abuse. The story is here. Heart palpitations, anxiety attacks, cold sweat. People end up in the emergency room losing their minds. Basically what happened to me when I tried no-doz in college, only now that shit's sold as a tasty beverage. I drank one as part of a shot a few months ago--car bomb? something with Jaeger and redbull--and honestly thought someone had slipped me something. I've never felt so insane in my life. Not drunk, mind you, I know drunk. We go way back. This was something skin crawly and high-pitched.

What makes me an old hag is that I've noticed a change in my students' caffeine abuse even in the short time I've been teaching. I had a load of papers recently that I could tell time by--this student didn't start this garbage until after midnight, and I'm thinking he tore through it by 4. But i've started getting papers that start out insane and only later deteriorate into tired teenager speak. I think it's the energy drinks!

I had a few of these chiquitas into my office to discuss some options and consider the finer points of the language. I showed them my "I can tell time" talents, they blushed, but one girl then piped up delightedly, "I was sailing on Red Bull, too! Whew!" I hadn't made the connection between her unnecessarily over-claused syntax--Faulknerian in its ambitions and single-celled in its communication--and her baby step drug use.

I don't know where I'm going with this--my own coffee this morning hasn't kicked in, and I didn't sleep well last night--but I guess this is a public service announcement from the surly English prof: Red Bull Gives You Nothing, but it makes your prof tired. Avoid at all costs.

6 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger m.a. said...

Oh. I had a caffeine problem in college. I used to detox ever semester (during the holidays so that only my family could feel the effects).

I think that coffee has permanently damaged me in some way.

I wish that the healthy/yoga life had been around in Richmond in the mid to late 90s. College might have been a bit healthier.

Oh well.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

I refuse to read that article because it will probably make me reevaluate my life choices in a way that I'm not comfortable with.

But the columns of thin, pink TaB energy cans in my fridge, which I make a point of reserving for caffeine emergencies, speak volumes to its rightness.

 
At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can get on PubMed and pull up a hundred articles describing the beneficial effects of caffeine. I found that news article interesting because one generally has to take in a hell of a lot of caffeine (I use hell of a lot as a medical term) to have toxic effects (and I have NEVER heard of caffeine-induced hallucinations). I like to think that caffeine is helping me ward off neurodegenerative diseases...well, that's what I like to think anyway.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Grad School Reject said...

My favorite energy drink is Rockstar. Have you seen this one? The tag-line is, Party Like A Rockstar, and then the can goes on to explain how one of its many ingrediencts is milkthistle. What does milkthistle do? The can is glad you asked, because as it tells you on the side, milkthistle helps regenerate/repair damage to your liver. So this drink is the double whammy of encouraging you to drink lots of alochol at night, and the to load up on accelerated amounts of caffeine in order to "recover."

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

I prefer old school amphetimines.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

MA--See, I thought I had a problem, too. I definitely drink less now than I did.

JB--I thought of you when I read it!

Chimmy--Absolutely. But I don't think you're going to find a journal article that says, "are you having heart palpitations? Excellent." I'm drinking coffee right now! I'm PRO caffeine. Just surly is all . . .

GSR--If you're consuming something called "milkthistle" you are not a rockstar in my book. YOu have to say it with a lisp, I think.

Cube--Word.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home