Sweet, sweet banality
I'm not a huge tv watcher, particularly since I cut myself off from cable upon my move down south. The basic channels (except for the ever-lovable PBS) just do not offer much to the world. I do watch TV on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the most part. And I'm starting to figure out a few things as a result.Tuesday: You can learn a lot about a person by what they watch on Tuesday nights. I spend the entire night clicking between stations, because it's the one night all the really well-written shows come on. I'm talking about, of course, House. Can't miss House. But then there's
Veronica Mars, which has moments of true brilliance. It's a tasty po-mo teen fest. And finally David Mamet's The Unit, which has emerged as a rather marvelous show in my mind, even though the title still makes me snicker every time I hear it. So the 9 pm hour gets a little crowded for me. Inevitably, though, something on House irritates me (overwrought decision or crisis inflated by Cameron's huffy face), so I click over Veronica Mars. Then I get wrapped up in that show until the ad, and I'm still irritated at House, so I click to the Unit. Something on that show makes me nervous--it's rather too good and upsetting at times--so I click back to House. I never see a full show of anything, but it suits me.It does puzzle me that I can enjoy a medical drama, a teen drama, and a military drama all at once. Honestly, it concerns me a bit. I need focus, right? Wouldn't House diagnose me as ADD if he had his shot?
Speaking of medical dramas and what caused this truly vacuous post, I watched Grey's Anatomy last night. I've grown to love this show. It pleases me no end. (I guess I should say "spoiler"?) As an open letter or note or memo to what was my favorite show until last night: YOU ARE NOT ER. YOU ARE A CUTE SHOW ABOUT WACKY INTERNS. YOU ARE A BUNCH OF ATTRACTIVE PEOPLE WHO HAPPEN TO WORK IN A HOSPITAL.Things I don't watch Grey's to see:
Smushed pregnant ladies with no face
Painfully-dying nice black men
Mute, traumatized little girls who have wet their pants
Gushing leg wounds
Interns being hurled off of piers.
It was this last bit--when Meredith (she of the squinty-eyed smile who can be either compelling and likable or truly smackable)--gets knocked into the water by a demented patient, unnoticed by anyone, that sent me off a pier of my own. COME ON, Grey's Anatomy, (I said to the screen) I stopped watching ER because it gave me bad dreams and stressed the hell out of me. I do not watch this show for gripping drama! Never! Your drama is like baby food served by lovely people. GIVE ME MY BABY FOOD.
But, no. Grey's wants to be someone else. And this leaves me on a Friday morning still filled with images of smushed and sad people. Thankfully I'll be dressed as mid-80s Madonna in 36 hours, so all this will fade away.


11 Comments:
I would actually give a rousing cheer if every episode of Grey's Anatomy involved one of the cast members being shoved off a pier in real life, until they're all dead except Sandra Oh. The mere mention of that nonsense makes my bile rise.
I couldn't sit still for GA last night. I had a similar reaction as you. Bring back the frivility, damnit! GA has made it through the awkward teenage years so it should know who it is by now. Start acting like it!
Damn. I was eating Sandra Lee snackies. I stopped watching Grey's because it began to anger me.
I love Friday night lights, Heros and Ugly Betty. I can't seem to watch TV on Tuesdays. Three shows. Where is the TV lover I used to be. :(
I think Grey's should have an "Emergency/Tragedy" episode where they are called to a party that has overly indulged in Sandra Lee "punch" and "cookies." If you don't take those in moderation (read: one nibble/sip and you're good) bad things happen.
No Boston Legal on Tuesday night?
I watched Grey's Anatomy all of twice (chicks had the remote on both ocassions). Perhaps they finally decided to stop being an Ally McBeal knock-off and become an ER knock-off. ER had much more staying power...
I "missed" last night, but it doesn't sound like I missed anything. A smushed pregnant lady without a face? Definitely reserved ER territory.
JB--I do love Sandra Oh, but there are a few others who keep me going.
Megan--Exactly. I knew it wouldn't just be me who was waiting for cotton candy and got clocked upside the head!
MA--I'll watch Heroes if it's on. Same with Ugly Betty. I've not been seeking them out.
GSR--Ahh the voice of experience?
Buff--[Shudder]
Claven--Hate to say it, but I totally agree with you. Not the right game plan. Wrong audience. Because it's all about ME.
MG!-Right on. I was horrified.
This is why I just stick to Colbert. He doesn't angry up the blood as much.
Justify your love, girl.
I am proud to say I have seen nary a minute of Grey's Anatomy. I'm convinced that every time some girl get's all gooey over "McDreamy" or "McSteamy", a puppy dies.
Grey's and Desperate Housewives are my guilty pleasures. My *true* pleasures are Scrubs, The Office, Extras, My Name is Earl, and How I Met Your Mother (truly an intelligent, charming comedy). And then of course most anything on TLC, Discovery Channel, and Bravo.
Post a Comment
<< Home