The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

On cleaning, control, and o.p.s.

First, my doctor has put me on a new form of birth control pills. Their brand name is YAZ. I'm starting to wonder when this name will cease being hilarious to me.
Move out, don't mess around
Move out, you bring me down
Move out, how you get about
don't make a sound just move out
(This picture might prevent pregnancy, actually . . .)

Second, my friend S. and I were chatting about a mutual friend and how people can often assume that theirs is the only pain in the universe. It's astonishing what the cheeriest people go through without batting an eyelash. It's the ones who whinge and whine and tell everyone how they're never going to find love (or something equally banal) who get the attention rather than the woman struggling with abuse or the fellow trying to stop drinking. We were considering whether the cheery-hiding-the-pain might be a southern thing. The Steel Magnolia Syndrome. You've just buried your husband that morning but you're ready to get your next door neighbor a glass of sweet tea 'cause it sure is awful steamy outside these days, sugar, you sit right down.

I'm also reserving the first half of this day for cleaning my house. I am a terrible housekeeper. Things are never dirty, necessarily--no dirty dishes and pizza boxes lying around--but things do get dusty and unspeakably cluttered. My beautiful dining room table is covered end to end with my laptop, my calendars, about a hundred notes to myself, and my morning pill regimen (now with Yaz! I ain't never gonna let you go don't gooooo!)

I loathe cleaning for some reason, but I'm always delighted by the way things look afterwards. I've taken to inviting people to my home in hopes of forcing myself to clean the place out of pure shame. It's working so far, thank heavens. I'm the same way about paying bills, actually. I hate hate hate paying bills because I'm in constant fear of being completely broke. So I avoid paying them. Then when I actually get up the gumption to do it, and it's done, I feel fine.

Suddenly this is turning into the addendum to the weird-things post. Alas. In other news, see Pan's Labyrinth. It's gorgeous. Although this fellow nearly made me wet my pants:
Trust me, it will be ok.

4 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

I have the same relationship to cleaning, which I'm also meant to be doing today. I hate doing it, then I get depressed about how awful my house looks, then I don't leave the house, then I get more depressed about spending all this time in an awful looking house, then I cave in and do it under pressure (visiting friends or relatives, usually) and then I feel awesome. Ack.

My WVW is zuiieo. I like to think that Zuiieo is a character in Pan's Labyrinth.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Pagan Marbury said...

There's a stripper from Nexus Gold Club called Yaz. Now I wonder if that's where she got the name.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

JB--My house looks incredible. I can't touch anything, but it looks really nice. And I got to rationalize buying really nice candles since it looks nice.

Pagan--The pill or the band? If the former, that's some advertising!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

I think lots of different groups suffer in silence that way (WASPs come to mind :) ). I'm one of the whiners, which I would like to change about myself.

And brava on the cleaning. I have a series of old Subway cups on my coffee table and a recycling bin that's begging to be emptied...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home