The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Athletics, cont. . . .

In keeping with Super Bowl weekend and my continuing experiences with strange or unusual things, I went to my first hockey game last night. The Atlanta Thrashers got beaten by the Philadelphia Flyers, which was apparently unexpected, judging from the way my one friend kept shaking his head and the way my other friend kept leaping up and down and shrieking.

I loved it. Hockey is a game I can kind of understand, plus it's incredibly fast-paced so I never ever get bored. I could take a pass on the commercial breaks and the "ice sweeper girls" but it's a small price to pay.

Best part? The Thrashers have these giant bird heads attached to the ceiling of the arena. Before each period begins, the heads open their mouths and shoot fire. This is fantastic. I'm already planning ways to get myself a Shakespeare head that will open its mouth and shoot fire before each lecture I give. But, judge for yourself. Here is my picture from the nosebleed seats, and here is a picture of a real brown thrasher, the state bird of Georgia.

<--killer

happy songbird-->
(or is he???)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 1:33 AM, Blogger m.a. said...

Next you'll be writing about how you are dating a hockey player who plays tennis and who doesn't expect you to go to all of his games... :)

Forgive me. I can't fall asleep.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

I'm really looking forward to more posts with the "birds on fire" tag.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

What Jordan said. Think of the possibilities.

Thanks for the clarification on what precisely a Thrasher has to do with Atlanta. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

MA--There's not an English-speaker in the bunch, I fear, and my Russian . . . is not so good!

JB--It's especially effective if you sing the tag to the tune of "wheels on fire," the theme to AbFab.

66--Yes, I thought they were thrashing their enemies, then my friend reminded me of my state's history. Chirp?

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Lara said...

I HEART hockey games. I can't stand it on TV, but something about it live is completely exhilirating. It might also just be my love of stadium-type food. Last time I went to one, I got a gyro, hot dog, soft pretzel, Dippin' Dots, and a funnel cake. I kid you not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home