The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Spring Fever

It's a glorious 70 degrees today in the Peach State! It's been outlandishly cold the past few weeks, so there has been much frolicking. The gladioli are in the florists, even, so I've gone a bit nuts myself and flooded my home with them. Glads are easily one of my top 5 fleurs. I'm a fool for the tall flowers. I'm down with stalky, people!

I'd say the spring fever has been affecting the medical community as well, but for the fact that I've been getting really cheeky doctors since I moved here. I went for my annual exam to the local gynocologist, and she had me taken care of so fast that my hair blew back. As she was snapping off her gloves, I laughingly said, "Gosh! I feel a little violated!" To which she immediately responded, "Want me to do it again?" [eyebrows in hairline, jaw drops, shocked head shake]

Today I had my "check my pale, pale flesh for cancer" appointment with my new dermo here in the land of peanuts, pecans, and peaches. A friend of the family is about to die from brain cancer--which started as a malignant skin thingy on her FOOT--so I've been really eager to get checked out.

In walks my young doctor fellow. He's brusque and speedy, but I don't much care. We chat about my meds, my skin, my antagonistic relationship with my epidermis, and my medical history. As I sit in my paper "gown," basically naked but for a paper towel, he asks me the first day of my last period. I said, "yesterday." He looks up briefly, smiles, and says, "congratulations." Without thinking, I respond, "Thanks, we're all really thrilled."

Who is the we? No idea! He startled me so much with his . . . roguishness . . . that I resorted to the royal we, perhaps? I think it was unsettling because a boy I used to date used to join me in an anti-fertility dance every time I had my period. "We have defeated Mother Nature again!" we'd sing gleefully. Apparently Dr. Sassy Skin does the same thing.

So once again, I'm left in a medical exam room wearing a bounty quicker picker upper and shaking my head like a perplexed cocker spaniel. What is it with this place?

9 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger Claven said...

Would you prefer they act like Cletus the rat-finding rental dude?

Remember, you are in the south again. These doctor folks might well not fit in with everyone else.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Megarita said...

[eye roll]

just thought it was funny, pisser.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

Was he single? ;)

(I like sassy men...)

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Fr. Scott said...

I'd have taken the good doctor up on her offer "to do it again" just to make sure I was getting my money's worth.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Big shock-- Claven talking about something like he's an expert.

It's sweeping the nation-- my friend (who lives in Madison, WI) and I both noted that our new ladydoctors were so fast in every aspect of the check-up that it seemed impossible for them to notice anything wrong. It was disturbing to me.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

MA--He was a little cute! But married.

Scottie B.--I think it was more like a threat, but I like your can-do attitude!

MG!--HA! Yeah, there seems to be a new kind of land-speed trial happening for American gynos. Sheesh.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

Soooo my idea of a drive-thru OBGYN would not be well-received?

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Lara said...

For some reason my favorite part of this post is the "Thanks, we're all really thrilled." I love the royal we usage there!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger tkkerouac said...

love this blog and that thumbnail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home