The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

On iTunes and the Delicious Pleasure of Copyright Infringement

After a long day of shopping with S., we headed back to her apartment for some downtime, shopping reflections (e.g., was this a good purchase? oh hell yes, girl, you look fabulous!), and some music sharing.

S. has always been several paces ahead of me in the world of music. She's got terrific street cred--working with musicians, working in radio, and just being an all-around cool chick. Needless to say, her CD collection is sick, and her iPod is similarly, well, stacked. Since we were too nervous and ignorant to risk hooking my MegPod into her system, we decided to go old-school and just let me make a mix from her music and load it onto my computer later.

hush, hush, keep it down now . . .

Heaven. I hadn't trolled through a friend's music in a long time. It was like when you made a new friend in high school or college and you reached the intimate point of sharing tapes or CDs. All those untapped resources. Drrrrroooool.

Because I've been following S.'s tastes for many years now and have even branched off on my own, I had most of her new stuff, but she had some nasty tracks from our days in college when we'd go to the trashy clubs and dance to 80s music or just chill out in our dorm rooms and listen to random music. Songs like "Send Me an Angel," or tracks from the Happy Mondays (whatever happened to that tape? Twistin' my melon, man), songs from the Singles soundtrack (I'm going to sleep, and I'm goin' there alone!), random one-hit wonders like "'Voices Carry," and songs I always forget about like Supertramp's, "The Logical Song." I was a kid in the candy store. I was also way deep in nostalgia.


Makes sense now how my parents used to put on their Beatles albums and sigh with content. They weren't down with my Duran Duran or my Billy Idol. For as much as I love the Arctic Monkeys, the National, Snowden, or what have you, I'm still at my best (or worst!?) when I'm bopping around my apartment listening to "Round and Round." (Ohhhh, that might need to be a late submission to GSR's new blog!! Great songs by bad bands!)

Geek out with me, people.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

I was tagged in meme by Hedonistic Pleasureseeker:

http://hedonisticpleasureseeker.wordpress.com/

I, in turn, tagged you and two others.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Grad School Reject said...

Round and Round is awesome! Was that off of the Ratt-N-Roll album?

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

I think I may be the only woman in our generation who never owned the Singles soundtrack. Every roommate I had played it into the ground.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Cubey--I'll do it now, thanks!

GSR--That doesn't sound right . . . Out of the Cellar?

JB--Oooooh it was life-defining in college. Movie? Not so great. Soundtrack? Formed me as a person.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Claven said...

This reminded me that I actually had the Singles movie poster in college. Yikes. Over ten years after the movie came out, I had just moved back to the west coast again with no job prospects. State of Love and Trust came on the radio, I knew it was going to be alright. That didn't actually mean anything. But I felt good for about 30 minutes.

Now? I was on the bus last week and a Drown came on the ipod. I realized it had been nearly 15 years since the movie/soundtrack came out. And there I was riding the frigging bus. Not a good reflection.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Cliffy--It can be a tragic time-teller. It also reminds me that I'm older than my students. One of them sneezed the other day and I said, "You soooooo good lookin'!" CRICKETS.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Ryane said...

Those are all awesome CD's...I LOVElovelove the Singles soundtrack and yeah, I can admit to having some Ratt tunes on my iPod. Makes the daily run go by just that much faster...

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger LacubriousOne said...

okay so Voices Carry "was" a one hit wonder...I feel the need to mention thatjust last year I saw Amiee Mann (blond chick from Til Tuesday) and was really impressed...You should check out her stuff from the Magnolia soundtrack and also her album...The Forgotten Arm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home