The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Socialization bad

I witnessed an interesting example of how women compete with one another yesterday at the gym. I went to my snazzy exercise ball class--somewhat of an abs class, but really all about the CORE, whatever that means--and I had a different instructor.

This woman is the hot middle school teacher. You all remember her? Petite brunette, super perky, and in awe-inspiring shape. Well, chicky's got some issues.

As we all rolled into place on our ridiculous giant red balls (hahaha), she announced that she was "flying to Portland to see her 90-pound sister this weekend, so we were going to kill ourselves today." And then she proceeded to beat the tar out of us for the entire class, leaving me and at least a dozen other women in a crumpled, sweaty pile, weeping softly.

Damn.

This was a sibling! Her sister made her this way! This woman is an aerobics instructor! She's adorable! She weighs likely 110 pounds, tops! WHAT IS HER PROBLEM!???

I'd like to add as an interesting aside that the one fellow in our class--boys need core, too!--refused to even do some of the ridiculous butt things we were doing. (Effective things, but intensely painful and goofy looking.) Aerobashrew looked over at him, laughed, and said, "You will never understand." He shrugged, smiled, and kept doing his crunches.

Gulp.

For whom do you work out? Are you like my new favorite ad--for Kaiser--that says, "Be your own cause" or are you determined to be fitter than the Joneses? I can honestly say I'm not sure. Only that I'm super glad I have a brother rather than a sister.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

hmm...do I really want to answer this?

It would take me too long to list the people I do work out from...why don't I say that I can definatively say that I don't work out for my blog.

And the readers.

So, that's about it.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

work out FOR.

Need coffee.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

This is such a fraught question for me at the moment. I'm in a spurt of exercise dedication the likes of which I have never seen in my life before, and I think it's equal parts knowing that the active members of my family generally live a good 30+ years longer than the ones who just lie around on wicker chaises drinking gin (aka "the fun ones"), anxiety about the possibility that my speedy metabolism will collapse now that I'm 30, and desire to continue looking kind of fierce in a two piece.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

The more I work out, the more critical I am of my body. I think it's because I expect my body to reflect any and all work I put into it, when in reality it just simply does not get cut. I can look somewhat more toned than just skinny, but that's about it. I work out to fit into small clothes and for other women most of all, I suppose, but not for any in particular.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Grad School Reject said...

I work out for myself....but that is largely motivated by having a wife who is several levels hotter than me. So is it still for me?

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

I'm not working out right now. And I'm okay with that.

(I'll probably be at the gym tomorrow.)

Oh. I work out so that I won't have health issues later in life.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Claven said...

I run because I couldn't run in high school when my legs kept breaking. I surf, swim in open water, hike (not lately) and snowboard (used to a lot more) because they are just plain fun. I swim in pools because the weather/ocean conditions are very fickle around here. I don't work out.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

I work out so I look good naked.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

PINDC--Hear, hear. On the internets, nobody's knows nuthin'.

JB--That seems sane--health and body! Here's to fierceness.

MG!--That's not cool; you're totally slender. Must remember to love oneself, girly!

GSR--yeah, you've got to keep up with Cracklin' Rosie. Good luck with that!

MA--How very mature!! Best reason, I guess. But do you never enjoy it?

Claven--A better plan. I need more leisure time, apparently?

Chimmy--And we thank you.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Fr. Scott said...

My approach to working out is similar to my approach to crotch grooming: the effect should be that you're actively interested and involved with what's going on but that you don't over do it to the point of looking freakish. And having a strong core is very important - I'm just sorry that the poor guy in the class didn't understand the benefit of the ass exercises (a nice ass is something that transcends the boundaries of sexual orientation, so why the anxiety?).

 
At 1:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Meg. This is Megan (from Open up my head...). I can't log in to my email and, thus, my blog. But I didn't want you to think I stopped reading.

This woman needs a good smack down. I work out to make myself feel better and so hot men will check me out. I'm not ashamed to admit that. Mmmm...hot men.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home