The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

But this one goes to 11 . . .

I woke up today, my day off, at 11 am. I went to bed at 10:30 pm last night. This concerns me, because I woke up with the same vise around my brain that was there when I fell asleep with 2 tylenol pms in me!

Grrrr . . . the end of the semester is upon me, chickens, and it makes for some unfortunate circumstances.

First, it unleashes my inner ridiculousness. (I hear those of you saying, "inner? we wish!") I was helping some students with their final papers and one fellow was positing that the weird sisters in the Scottish Play were the protagonist's downfall (shhhh, he's young) and I started howling with laughter. He turned to me, and I cackled, "is this the 'witch set me up' defense? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!" Laughed until I cried, no lie. We had already done student evaluations, so I was in the enviable position of, "you can't touch me now!"

Second, it makes me sleepy and it makes my head hurt. Fluorescent lighting in particular hurts my brain. I actually shaded my eyes during most of my grad seminar last night. I was 20 minutes away from wearing sunglasses in class. And then there's the 12+ hour nap I just had. Not a good sign. I shouldn't be this tired. Or at least my head should hurt less after sleeping so long, dammit.

Third, it means all the work parties are upon us. I have a rather formalish shenanigan to go to this weekend. Now, it's work, so I can't be too meow-meow, but I've decided to actually look good. Again, it's the "one week to commencement, witches. do your worst!" sentiment. It is an open bar party, so I'm bringing a buddy. These sorts of parties are recipies for disaster, especially with Megarita in a strapless dress and a chip on her tired, bare shoulder.

Fouth, it means I've finished my first full academic year at my new job. Damn. Makes me relate to the poor girl in this headline this morning: Woman Blows .47 on Breathalyzer. As a naughty friend mentioned, "Someone's raised the bar!" It also makes me aware that my life is less funny than it was back in the day--fewer offers of marriage/purchase from tall, dark, strangers, fewer incidents in laundromats, and fewer idiocies in public. This concerns me most. I've got nothing to write about! Unless this party goes as well as expected . . . fingers crossed.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Claven said...

I'm guessing your student was too young to have heard of Marion Berry.

You're not getting too old. Life is just more eventful in Turtle Town.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Nice Spinal Tap reference. I think you're doing just fine-- and hopefully the party will bring more adventures. :)

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

I think that you're doing well. :)

I would like an excuse to wear a strapless dress. Woot!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Jane said...

I can sleep like that minus the tylenol pm every Friday night. It's the 135 16&17 yr.old hormonally, insane teenagers that come through my doors everyday, the effot I exert when I teach five classes a day/five days a week to these creatures who think reading is for "nerds" and don't know what the word "contemporary" means, and have the vauge, shallow notion that their parents' noveau riche status is going to keep them for life. Geesh. No wonder why teachers are so tired. Our brains need a break. I told my husband before our first date on a Friday night that after a week of teaching, I have to come home and nap for a minimim of two hours before I can do anything.
I'm in the ATL, too. I read Jordan's blog and the title of yours caught my attention.
JenB

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

It also makes me aware that my life is less funny than it was back in the day--

Amen. I don't know what aspect of age causes this phenomenon, but I aim to figure it out...and eradicate it.

Oh, and I read the .47 article on Fark.com this morning. Always a great place to find random hilarity.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Thanks, Cliffy. Voice of sanity!

MG!--There's adventures, and adventures, you know? We shall see.

MA--Thanks. I've decided to go with a "party dress" rather than a strapless, however. The other was too . . . boating party.

Jen--Thanks for coming by! I hear you, and you're doing it more frequently than I am. They are little parasites, aren't they?

Chimmy--As long as it's not just me. Because we're both interesting people, right? Not boring? Damn the man. Time, I mean.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

Two tylenol PM??? Jesus, no wonder you woke up no better off--I take one of those stupid things and I wake up feeling like I've been punched in the face one time too many.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Megan said...

To put a positive spin on it all, at least summer vacation is just about here for you! (I have to wait until June 20th.) Besides, you'll always be a rockstar to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home