The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New skills


On my recent swing down to the real Georgia, I had dinner with some cousins at a local eatery. This was the "fancy" out-to-eat place when I was growing up--it had things like "surf-n-turf" on the menu, and desserts with foreign names like "creme de menthe."

It has changed. Two-thirds of the diners were wearing camoflauge--my cousin and I hypothesized deer season, but I'd like to know what deers are lingering around the salad bar (change for dinner, boys!)--and the surf-n-turf was nowhere to be found. The shrimp scampi had also disappeared. New management, perhaps.

Regardless, I was feeling sassy and decided to get catfish. Fried, of course, because catfish just isn't that great unless it's dredged in cornmeal and fried within an inch of its existence. (I've tried baking and sauteeing this fish. Never the same. Just fry it.)

I ordered, "catfish!" and the surly waitress--not wearing hunting clothing but sporting an apron with her name on it, which my cousin chirpily repeated several times (no more "Sonoma celebrations" for him before dinner!)--said, "you want 2 or 3?"

"Er, I think 2 is all I can handle."

Damn, that was the truth! The fish arrive, and these are not hoity-toity city folk filets! No sir, these are whole catfish that have been drowned in cornmeal and dunked in hot oil. I sat there aghast, unsure of how to eat them, until my cousin told me, "Pick it up, Megarita. You pull off the dorsal fin and then eat it like corn on the cob, only you need to never fully bite down. Gottta miss those bones, you see?"

There is no quantity of napkins that can clean up this sort of mess. Manhandling fried fish and eating it with your hands makes for a very shiny meal. Is it delicious? Hell, yes! Do you want to die after eating it? Yes! you are praying for death! My cousin--a medical professional who ordered three catfish in a fit of hubris--muttered something about his gall bladder that sounded upsetting. Cousin's wife was buried beneath fried shrimp crumbs. She seemed happy. Gleamingly so.

But now I can eat fish with my hands. And not like Gorton's fishsticks, either. Someday I might even catch one. But baby steps, people. Baby steps.

9 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

I'm sure it was delicious, but something about that photograph is disturbing as hell. I can't stop looking at it. It looks like a stuffed animal.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

That's just hardcore. I salute you.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

That is one gormet delight I never again want to experience!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Megan said...

Hubris indeed! I think I just gained 10 pounds READING this! Damn, I would totally try that with you. If I'm ever down in "the real" Georgia...

(BTW, I can't get an RSS feed for your blog. Do you happen to have it turned off? I gave up linking to everyone on my blog--the politics of it all--but now I can't access you on Bloglines. I might have to go back to links. Ugh.)

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Reid said...

I've been to more than my fair share of down-home, eat-lots BBQ and fish places. And I have NEVER been to a place where, when you order fish, they ask you how many fish you want. I'm impressed.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

That was breaded and deep fried WITH the head on? Gulp. You are brave. The grease, the calories? I swoon.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Megarita said...

Oh my dear little ones . . .

MG!--It was definitely an animal. I was the stuffed one, however.

MA--Please declare the aforementioned at my funeral. I will be dying of heart disease. Just a matter of time.

Buff!!! I've missed you! Don't be a catfish pansy, though. Not like you.

Megan--I'm hearing you like the Peanuts gang hears their parents and teachers? I'll check my parameters, etc., and see if I can determine what the hell you're saying.

Reid--You of all people should appreciate this foodie experience. I was too ashamed to ask for only one.

Cube--My coat is truly shiny!

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

It's my inability to eat things like this that causes a high percentage of my cousins to flare their nostrils at me and say things like "there's a saaaaaaaaaaal-l'd awn the taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay-b'l if yew git hungry." I don't like being able to recognize my food.

And it's going to sound lame, but I have to ask: it's been cleaned under there, right? No scales?

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

JB--I was totally that way as a kid. I've lost some of my heebie jeebies, but not all! they are indeed cleaned--no insides and no scales. They'd be inedible otherwise, I imagine. Imagine it's like a whole fish that's been baked in salt or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home