The DMV and the dangers of shopping alone

After a morning meeting with a student I think might have been high (the only other option is sleep deprivation or some sort of dumbstruck crush on his prof), I decided to get my new GA license and check out the new mall near my town. Yes, my life is this good.
Denise at the DMV took care of me. She welcomed me to Georgia, and when I said this was actually a return home for me (resignedly), she clapped her hands and said, "Let's see if you're still in the system!"
Ho boy.
I was. 10 years younger. From my days at Woof U. We redid the stats, and Denise announced to the room (no, seriously, to the ROOM) that Ms. Meg weighs the same now as she did in college. She then asked me to explain how this was possible and tell her whether I actually telling the truth? Horrifying. I was waiting for a tape measure to come out. I assured her that it was indeed the case and yes I went to the gym and wasn't she sweet to say something ("bless your heart" suddenly meaning "I'd like to cut out your heart, Denise.").
After this charming exchange, she looked at my MD license photo and said, "Whoo. You sure do need a new photo!" This is a close second to the guy at the video store in Bootymore who declared upon seeing my license that "you are WAY prettier in person! DAMN that's a bad photo!" To my Mount Vernon fellow I laughed and said yeah, I looked like an angry lesbian, and he laughed, but here I just gritted my teeth and said, "Yeah, bad haircut." She was still shaking her head in awe of my bad photo when I teetered over to Ms. Sally the photo girl. Needless to say I made it into a glamour shot. Makeup was ON, hair was FLUFFED, sexuality was HETERO!
Feeling beaten down by this experience, but rather pleased by the work, I decided to check out the new clothing store in town. This is where I almost brought my camera phone into the dressing room and bothered my more stylish friends like JordanBaker, MysteryGirl!, Momentary Academic, or Diva T for advice. I bought two wrap dresses that either make me look like a fabulous retro fashion minx or an extra in the typing pool from 9 to 5. I'm trying to trust my gut on this, but I may have made a grievous error. But then again, I'm living outside of Atlanta. I may be able to squeak by.


7 Comments:
Wrap dresses are always chic. Timeless! I'm sure you are a fabulous retro fashion minx, but even if not, those "9 to 5" ladies were fabulous in their own right...
Yeah for new DMV photos! I can't wait for my ugly passport to expire, but I can wait for my license to, since I will never look that cute again.
I think that you showed the angry lesbian license at the rogue pub. I'd like to say I tried to spin it somehow. But yeah, it looked like another person. Congrats on the new one.
No feelings were meant to be harmed in the typing of this comment.
MG--Maybe I'll take a picture of the patterns and you may change your tune. I've taken a risk. that's all I'm saying.
Cliffy--HA! I had forgotten you saw that. At least you didn't say, "Spitting image!" which would have resulted in you wearing a beer. Well handled!
When I recently got my licence updated and new photo taken, I decided I would avoid the whole goofy smiling thing and try to just keep my face neutral. End result...I look like a felon. An angry felon. Moral of the story - goofy smile is always better than the alternative!
Doesn't "bless your heart" pretty much always mean "I'd like to cut out your heart?"
And if I'm one of your "more stylish" friends, you may have a problem. I can't remember the last time I bought something that my sister didn't accuse of "looking like something mom would wear."
You're tall. Wrap dresses look HOT on tall girls.
I have unusually good MVA photo (I'm horribly unphotogenic). I'm waiting until I get my haircut to get the DC license.
what m.a. said, they're tres hot.
Oh, and I think you can confidently go with 'dumbstruck crush on his prof', which feels a lot like being high, only not so safe
Post a Comment
<< Home