The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Some brief notes about kickball . . .


Because I cannot give you the play-by-plays of the faculty's TRIUMPH over the students in kickball this weekend (my new rules of discretion), I will simply relate my experiences.

1. I have developed zero new skills in kickball. I'm faster, and that's about it. This does no good when you can't kick or field. And you really can't throw. Jesus, what a debacle.

2. There is a very satisfying noise made when boys catch fly balls in kickball. It's sort of a terrific thunk when the ball echoes off their ribcages. When a woman catches a kickball this way, there's more of a "dammit, ow!" reaction. This was never a problem in 3rd grade, as I recall. Damn puberty.

3. The kickball itself is WAY smaller than I remember. I can almost palm the ball now. Still, this did not improve my fielding in the slightest. I kept thinking to myself, "I lift weights, for god's sake! Why can't I hurl this thing?"

4. It's still obscenely hot around here in the afternoons. I've never seen 20 people sweat that much in my life.

5. Gradeschool kickball ruined many of the women in our department. They were almost all paralyzed at the thought of making a fool of themselves on the field. Thankfully my capacity for looking or acting dumb is far higher than in the past, so I was able to stay in without a substitute for the entire game. But still, there is little fun to be had in these sports anymore for many of us; the memories of being ridiculed by teammates, the remembrances of being picked last or close to last, and the crystal clear recollection of being relegated to the way back outfield are still too fresh to permit much enjoyment at all. That being said, I enjoyed being semi-ok at the game and hanging out with my new colleagues. At least I'm a team player, and that still counts for something. That and I throw a mean after-party.

6 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

I figure that you would throw a fabulous after party. Hooray!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

You are a brave woman. I could not play that game then and I sure as hell couldn't play it now. Hard rubber balls slamming against my breasts? Not my idea of fun. Especially since I can't really run, throw or catch that well either.

Alcohol would have helped though.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

I'm pretty sure that my kickball strategy now, as it was in third grade, would be to get walked as often as I could.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

You might need some inspiration before your next match. I recommend Pete Papageorge's kickball song. I know it makes me want to kick some balls.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

MA--It wasn't really fabulous, but it wasn't lame, either. It's all you can wish for under certain circumstances.

VP--sadly we had to wait for booze, but the game itself was reasonably fun.

JB--They switched the rules to make it a little nicer for everyone, I think. No walks, though, which ruined my plans as well!

LC--I'm hoping this is only an annual event!!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger kris said...

I'm sweating just thinking of the embarrassment sure to follow me signing up for a kickball game. Ugh.

I'm also fantasizing that you had a Velveeta/hot salsa dip at your afterparty. And maybe deviled eggs, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home