Toesies and Target
First, the danger with Target may be best summed up by this experience: I went in for an ironing board and came out with a microwave. Honestly! It was on sale, thus rationalized Megarita, but honestly!
After the trauma of the MegMobile not starting and requiring a tow from a redneck Santa on Monday morning (It's fine now, even though it required me to be abandoned on the set of Sanford and Son for a few hours. You haven't lived until you've been frantically skimming a Shakespeare play while sitting on a chair from Archie Bunker's place in a trailer located in the middle of a scrap yard. I almost whipped out ye olde camera phone, but then thought better of it. After all, one woman's scrap heap . . .) I decided to "treat" myself to a pedicure as well as my usual wax at the local spa.
Yes, my new college town has a day spa. Praise Allah, because it's lovely. And full of delicious novelty! I will explain.
The owner of the spa--who seemed my age yet exceedingly competent, although far more modest (and by that I mean "disposable panties," for those in the know) than my Bootymore or DC aestheticians--waxed me and then did my pedicure. (I deliberately went during a slow time and therefore got the owner. Awesome.) The pedi was a little different, though. Most important, you're lying down! I had never experienced a horizontal pedi! Awesome! I love lying down! And I hate the banal chit chat of pedicures. They take longer, so there's more awkward silence at times. This was blissfully silent.
The gal had me lie on my back on a table, bend my knees and put my feet in a tub placed on the table. (I still think this is precarious. I was waiting for the moment when I had a leg spaz and kicked the bath across the room. Not totally relaxing.) Then she threw a heated neck wrap around me and went to town on my toesies, which are now painted a lovely "Abbey Rose" rather than their usual "Marooned." I am a bold changer of toe color, folks. Fear my whimsy.
I have to give this newfangled version (for me--maybe I've always gotten crap-o pedis) a 4 out of 5 stars. Do I love lying down with a hot neck wrap? More than almost anything. Do my toes look fab? You betcha. My only qualms: the awkwardness of putting your feet in the bath on the table and the lack of intense exfoliation. Maybe everyone else can suffice with a pumice. My hooves need more from time to time. Will I go back? Heck yes. I'm making this a two-fer for ever. Nothing takes the edge off bikini waxing like a pedi.
These words of wisdom brought to you by redneck Santa, Abbey Rose, and Michael Graves.


8 Comments:
I've never even heard of a horizontal pedi before. Wow.
Until your pedicurist goes as far as my wifes', and resorts to turquoise nails with little black&white lightning bolts painted atop them, your whimsey holds no fears.
(that may sound horrible but in person it looks styley, I have to say).
Oh, and apparently in the UK, pedis are always horizontal (tho I cant vouch for this personally)
Ooooo...good idea on the pedi. I haven't had one in, gosh, years maybe. My tootsies need some pampering lately.
Target is a black hole for dinero. It nearly sucks me in with it each time I enter the doors, but somehow I've been strong enough to make it out each time. My money, however, hasn't been so lucky.
You know, I've never had a professional pedicure. My feet are so ticklish that I worry that I would kick the aesthetician in the head. If I were lying down, I definitely would kick the bath across the room as I kicked her in the head.
Yay for the post-wax pampering. You are wise to do it that way.
Sounds mightly lovely. The pedicure. Not the wax.
JB-I know! Where have we been? I had to come to GA for this?
FF--I am totally floored by your revelation about UK pedis. This is one of the global experiences the internet facilitates!
Megan--I keep telling myself it's an investment, but I terrify myself with my spending sometimes.
MG--It takes some control sometimes. She was pumicing the ball of my left foot and I had to bite the inside of my mouth not to go "Hee hee!" and kick her.
MA--You know it, spa girl!
I just had my usual manicure/ped this past weekend: OPI's new "Anniversary" line. I did go with a burgundy "All Lacquered Up." I don't know if I could relax during a horizontal pedi. That sounds uncomfortable to me. In a totally prone position, your toes would be pointing up, and having to lie on your back with bent knees to get your toes done doesn't sound good for the long stretch, including the exfoliation and lotion portion.
That sounds positively blissful!
My most favorite pedi was right before my wedding. The lady found out I was a bride-to-be so she made me martinis and gave me an extra-long massage of the feet and calves while another girl did my shoulders and neck and then she put rhinestones on my toes. Orgasmic!
Post a Comment
<< Home