Getting Older Means . . .
drunksomnia.
Now, JordanBaker is far more well-versed in this phenomenon, but I've had a run of bad sleeps, so I get to wax rhapsodic for a bit now, too. I'd like to state for the record that alcohol used to just put me to sleep before the past year. I hate aging.
After a staff retreat today (mmmmm, 6 hours of extra work mingling) I met my neighbors for a beer or two. Because one of our party retains the alcoholic traditions of his alma mater, he's encouraged a tradition of jaeger bombs on Friday (hilarious instructions on how to make these here). These dastardly drinks are both deceptively refreshing and rather delicious. So we have a few beers, the bomb, and then we all split and go our separate ways. I'm spent after the aforementioned mingling, so I dodge our other companion and teeter home. I check some email, I read Kavalier and Clay for a while, I go to bed by the very reasonable hour of 10:30 pm. I'm pooped, I didn't sleep well last night (damn yoga), and I have a lot to do tomorrow. Today. Whatever.
Then I'm up like it's 10 am, yet it is only 3. I assume I heard some drunken raucous fracas brouhaha outside and roll over. But it doesn't work. I roll around for about 30 minutes before I sit up and moan, "drunksomnia!" You don't have to be wasted or anything that banal to suffer, it seems. Just consume enough alcohol to make a dent in your tortured soul (hahaha I kid I kid don't call Betty Ford) and then you're up before the birds.
A few things that have rolled through my deeply perplexed mind here in the dark early morn:
1. I really want Ethiopian food. I want Dukem.
2. I have a birthday coming up.
3. Yoga hurts.
4. I'm deeply cheesed off at a friend of mine. More than I have allowed myself to admit (none of you, gentle readers!).
5. My old computer refuses to spit out all of my mp3 files so that I can transfer them to the new shiny laptop. I suspect bitterness on the part of the old laptop. At least the old laptop doesn't have a battery that threatens to burst into flames at any moment. It should be consoled by this. And hand over the damn music, jerkface.
6. I dated a fellow who used to love massaging my calves and feet. Whatever happened to him? Sure it might have been a fetish, but I'm not judging! High heels=need to find fellow with similar interest in maintaining the stems.
7. I need to track down a dry cleaner and a mechanic asap. Preferably in separate establishments.
8. I still haven't put the stupid bookcase together.
9. Is it worth assigning a Middle English text in Middle English or should I just say "to hell with it" and order the modernized version?
10. I can totally hit the farmer's market before all the good produce is gone, or I can try to go back to bed at 6:10 am. Even after coffee and cereal. I think you know where I'm headed, reader mine.


5 Comments:
I think my answer to the Middle English question would vary depending on the text in question and the level of the class. Canterbury Tales? Yes, at least the prologue. Builds character. Margery Kemp? No--ME is harder to understand when you don't have a rhyme scheme and scansion to guide you along (and when the author is a certifiable religious maniac).
Birthdays will always make you think, right? I am sorry that you're upset with someone. If there's anything I can do, you know I'm here. (cheesy, I know)
Hmmmm, I would head to the market, grab some coffee and then come back around 8 AM and snuggle back into bed with a good book to ward off an alcohol induced yuckiness.
Re: Middle English. Why not an interlinear edition? Lord knows students will just go read the modernized online version anyway. At least with both on the page, there's room for a teaching moment or two.
I pretty much can't drink anymore without falling victim to drunksomnia-- long gone are the days of passing out and sleeping it off. I feel your pain.
I like Anon's idea of facing-page edition, if there's one available.
Post a Comment
<< Home