The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Monday, November 05, 2007

Ten People I'd Like to Push Down Stairs

These seem excellent stairs for shoving!

This cruel little meme was Chimmy's idea, and I think he was kidding, but when I read the title an entire roster starting flowing through my brain. I'll keep it to 5 just to keep things fresh. Feel free to add on as you see fit.

In no particular order:

1. The fellow from the Today show this weekend who was reporting on the recent display of poor little Tut's body in Luxor. He kept leaning on the vitrine that encased the atmospherically-controlled display for Tut. Boy's 3000 years old, fellow. Give him some space. That display isn't made of lead. Back it up. And don't say he had "buck teeth." This is the mummified corpse of a pharaoh, a body without organs or brain, covered in resin. He's not looking his plumpest or cutest, hmmm? I watched the entire segment just in case one of the curators propelled himself out of the wings and took this guy down. "You! Know! Nothing!" Sadly, no luck. [Rugby tackle!]

2. People who work in education who say grammar doesn't matter. I don't mean on blogs, people. This is a free-for-all, and I think it should be. But don't write something intended for public distribution, get corrected, and then get defensive. Sound ignorant and illiterate on your own time and under your own professional identity. You expect to hear this malarkey from students, not from grown-ups. (Not you, I mean that person over there!) [Push!]

3. The ladies in Alabama who keep praying over my friend who's confined to a wheelchair. He can't roll 15 feet or try and cross the street without someone trying to lay hands on him. No one wants to talk about making buildings more accessible for his wheelchair, or discuss getting a van that can take him to somewhere truly thrilling like Target once in a while, but they will pray the hell out of his poor, sinful body. (Sinful of course because why else would he be in a wheelchair?) [SHOVE!]

4. The sleazy husband at the party this past weekend who kept trying to touch me and others in inappropriate ways while his wife was right there. Dude, you somehow got a woman to marry you and apparently put up with your silliness. You obviously were once rather handsome and somewhat of a rake. Wake up and smell your 50s. You are no longer either. Now you are a lech and if you grab my ass again you're going to be wearing my drink. I would have handled this already except I don't want to embarrass your very nice wife. Ass. [Elbow in the nose!]

5. The parents at Fall Preview Day on my campus who walked past me and my table for a humanities department and rolled their eyes and muttered, "like anyone can get a job with that major." I finally stopped one of them and made a list of all the jobs you could get if you weren't such an idiot and what makes you think your kid has the brainpan to handle medical research anyway? [Push for parent, quick kick in the shins for me.]

It is cleansing, this list. Do join me on the stairs!

Edit: Because I sound like the Queen of Bitterpants, I will add a wee section here for "People I Might Carry Up the Stairs," because I'm actually not really as angry as I sound above.

1. My Chiropractor. Not only is he hot, he's French. How do I know? He almost scolded me today for having weird tension in my back. I explained that it was likely the result of wearing high heels most of the weekend. His response? "I can never be angry over that." Yay. A doctor who loves women. And who smells amazing. And who has a great accent.

[moment alone . . . ]

2. My friend who had the party with the #4 above, because he made me a cocktail involving tequila and rosewater (or maybe orange blossom) that nearly made me fall to my knees and thank the baby jesus that I was present and able to drink as many of these things as my high-heeled body could contain.

3. My other friend for driving my sorry, drunk, high-heeled ass home that night. Love you, too.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Claven said...

I think it goes without saying that I am available for airborne assualt upon all number fours. It will just take about six hours for my flight to get over ATL airspace.

The people I will add to this list are those who cannot walk across a cross-walk without meandering diaganally into my straight trajectory. Nobody does this on a sidewalk. Why the fuck do they do this on cross-walks?

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

For your consideration, I submit anyone who I don't know that randomly asks me how old I am in an age-restricted setting. Hey you, dude in the bar, don't you think I'm at least 21 because I got inside? And what business is it of yours how old I am? "Dude, you look, like, 18 years old" And?

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

The dude at my conference last weekend who asked me if my last name was really my last name. No. I made it up.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

I will carry Claven up the stairs for his comment. I don't know how far I could get up the stairs while I tried to carry him, but I offer this nevertheless.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Megan said...

Dang, both you and Chimmy are on fire! Great lists! You seriously had me cracking up over this.

I'd add myself to the list of people to be kicked because today I can't stop having dirty thoughts about my 28 year old Brazilian economist student.

[moment alone...]

Damnit, just kick me now.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Cliffy--Love the image of the Claven Airborne Assault.

66--Age questions are horrific, without a doubt!

JB--No, fool, it's my nom de plume!

MA--Yes, Claven gets a fireman carry. Between the two of us we could probably heft him somewhere close by.

Megan--I absolutely understand. Swift kick forthcoming!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Allison said...

Don't get me wrong, I take the good with the bad, but...

...my husband, who is beginning to resemble #4-blecccht!! :[

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

[Tented fingers]. EXCELLENT! Megarita...I never joke about shoving people down LONG flights of stairs. NEVAR! You made me so very happy that you took me up on my suggestion.

That being the case, I couldn't help but notice your defense of grammar. And, I felt like, for but a brief moment, that YOU would shove ME down the stairs! Wha!?

While I have contempt for grammar barbarians [on blogs and such] I do recognize that grammar is quite important. Improper grammar makes you look stoopid, and robs your ideas of any merit.

And, I would like to push Oprah Winfrey down a flight of stairs. Why? Because I'm just a mean-spirited bastard!

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Allison--Welcome, and my condolences! Some people don't want to get older. I don't.

Chimmy--I don't know your grammar in the real world, hon! I imagine it's excellent. And it might take both of us to get Oprah. I enjoy the team exercise this has encouraged. Lovely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home