The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Forgotten Dream

I had VH1 Classic on while I was poodling around the house yesterday at lunchtime, and I had a huge flashback of one of my best "when I grow up" dreams. My ambitions as a child tended to be very gender-based and very modest. I wanted to be a secretary, I wanted to be a school teacher, etc. These were the things that were appropriate for women, to my widdle mind.

Of course, I also wanted to be a ZZ Top girl.


MTV did form a generation, there's no doubt. That fabulous video for "Legs" was what came on yesterday. I immediately sat down and enjoyed the sluttification of the nice shoe salesman lady. You know the one--she goes to the diner, gets molested all along the way and teased by nasty, trashy people, but then the ZZ Top car comes for her, full of fabulously 80s women and they save her!

I'm deeply sad that I couldn't find screen shots of this from the internets. Remember the pink ripped outfit, pink stockings and little pink mary jane socks she ends up with? PERFECTION.

As I sat there I tried to remember: did I want to be the girl the ZZ Top Ladies helped, or did I want to be in the car? I think I evolved from one into the other. I was awkward looking for a looooong time as a girl. Wasn't until the end of sophomore year in high school that things started settling into the right places and my height finally worked for me. But I knew parts of me had potential. Until then, I definitely needed a carload of hot girls in crazy tattered short skirts and enormous hair to fix me up. After I came into my own, or at least started to, I wanted to be in the car. It was like a "What Not To Wear" for the mid-1980s.

Brilliant formula. Brilliant band. Here's to ZZ as we end our week. I'm going to iTunes immediately. Because every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger Grad School Reject said...

If "every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man!," then every man is "just look'n for some tush."

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

Poodling?

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Claven said...

C'mon, almost everything from the 80s would be listed as "What Not To Wear." This message brought to you by my older sister's control over the remote.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

Glad I'm not the only one with a question about "poodling."

"Sharp Dressed Man" is great. Playing it on Guitar Hero is greater.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

Billy Gibbons was on Bones last night. There...I admitted it...I watched Bones.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

GSR--well, exactly. It's like the words of the sages!

JB--Surely you've heard this out of my mouth before. It's like "piddling around." But without the urinary considerations.

Claven--Not consciously, but you're absolutely right.

66--I've seen that game and it looks awesome. My colleague's kid and I were discussing 70s guitar versus 80s metal guitar thanks to that game.

Chimmy--We all have at some point. Yaaaaay Billy Gibbons!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

...so then you'll appreciate the time a friend's poodle peed on the floor, and I called it a... wait for it...

Poodle piddle puddle.

I kill me.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger m.a. said...

I think I was in a vortex yesterday and missed everyone's blogs. I'm waiting for that car of women right now. :)

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Claven said...

Tweedle Beatle Battle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home