Put 'em on, put 'em on, put 'em on me
I ended the moving saga last night with a 90-minute massage. Yes, grasshoppers. An hour and a half of massage. I had never gone for more than an hour, but I almost always felt sad when the hour was up, like I wasn't quite fully relaxed. 90 minutes is perfect. I was completely unglued at the end.
Things I discovered:
1. I will never, ever fit perfectly in those head holders. This time it was my jaw that came out aching, and I still had the toilet bowl head feature. Of course I had been in there for 45 minutes, so it makes sense.
2. While my shoulders, neck, and hips require intensive care to the point that massage therapists often wonder at how I'm able to walk upright or how high my tolerance for pain must be, it's the little things that make a massage worth while. Like a good hand massage. I think my eyes might have crossed at one point it felt so fabulous. Feet are also nice, but I love the leg massage. Given the numbers of stairs I climb, boxes I've hefted, and high heels I've worn, a leg rub is next to heaven. Makes the calves happy. But most of all?
3. The scalp massage. An evil massage therapist could easily control my mind, have me rob banks, then give her or him all the loot with a good scalp massage. I'm completely helpless and happy when my head gets rubbed. This happens in salons, too, when I'm getting my hair washed. Thankfully I don't think I made the blissed out noises out loud, because that would be weird, like Monica getting a massage from Phoebe on Friends.
Of course, being an idiot I didn't follow my 90 minutes with 8 bottles of water to flush all the toxins out of myself. I drove home and drank one of the beers in my fridge and ate some of the Fritos and dip my friend brought over as a "happy unpacking" present before keeling over into bed. So now I feel mildly like ass. I'm totally relaxed, but my muscles are still a little confused. It's worth it. After this weekend, I can join a new gym and get back to my happy place. Or just pay someone to rub my scalp really hard. Whatever.
Labels: droopy eyelids, magic fingers, Sinead, worth every cent


9 Comments:
The only, erm, "professional" massage I ever received was after my epic car accident. Heav. En. Of course, also pain, but a good kind of pain.
...and let me stop before I go too far.
Too late, I-66! :)
I've only had one one-hour massage, and it was fantastic. I'm glad you got a little post-move treat. You've earned it after battling the Falls in your old apartment.
Well, I can't wait to hear about the city gym adventures!
I used to love getting my hair cut in San Diego just for the scalp massage. I'm not sure she was consciously massaging. But after the first five minutes of talking, I never had anything else to say until the end when I asked for a cigarette.
My only skills in this area are the hand/finger massage.
66--I've been told that a massage a week would likely solve most of my problems, physically and mentally. It's powerful stuff.
MG!--Srsly. You will love. Worth every penny.
MA--We'll see. Mama needs a paycheck first.
Cliffy--You get it, then. I worry that I'll meet someone who is a MegWhisperer. I'll be yakking on about something and they'll just rub my head and I'll turn into a glassy-eyed automaton.
I'm finally getting caught up on blog reading and I can't believe I missed out on all the trauma. You poor thing! So happy to hear things are working out in the end. Yay for happy endings and 90 minute massages. (Good God, I think I just drooled at the thought of 90 minutes of pure bliss like that.)
Chimmy--It can be a little ticklish, but there are definitely options! DO IT NOW.
Megan--Howdy! It was rough going for a while there; you chose your vacation time well. :)
We once took up a collection to buy my friend Jebus a haircut, and sent him to my Aveda stylist. He came out smelling lovely, but complaining in his Kentucky drawl about how freaked out he was when the woman had "commenced to rubbin' on his head."
JB--There are many reasons to love the south, but the spoken word opportunities are near the top in my opinion.
Post a Comment
<< Home