The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

On the rocks


I went out for some patio boozing last night with a pal of mine in Atlanta to toast the recent discovery of the future MegaritaLair(TM). The move won't happen for two months yet, but I wanted to go play in Atlanta regardless and get a sense of what it would be like to go out for cocktails and not have to drive an hour home.

It's awesome. I will be a much better person when I can toodle home in safety. In a CAB!!

We ended up at an Irish pubby place in one of my favorite neighborhoods, debating the worth of vodka and tonic versus vodka and soda. (I lean toward tonic because I like to know what I'm drinking--if my cocktail tastes too good, I'll have too much. But there is a clean, refreshing flavor to soda. I also recommend Sprite.) We weren't really on the prowl, but it was a crowded patio with tons of people. After a while we noticed that no one was talking to us in typical bar style. You're at a bar, you talk to people. This seems normal to me.

What was happening instead was something I was unfamiliar with, but what my friend called "The DC Bar Effect." Basically as we were chatting and laughing merrily along--big gestures and laughs on my part, funny stories and derisive chatter on hers--men would surreptitiously turn to look at us, but would then whip back and stay in the safety of their groups. It was very groupy. Tribal, even. I'm fascinated by this! Was this timidity the result of the fact that we were happily talking to each other and not doing the room sweep--that soulless and predatory gaze ranging from wall to wall to see who's looking back--or sitting there in silence? Or are we actually terrifying beasties?

I'm thinking the former since we both got a big manhandled on the way out. Taking advantage of a crowded bar to cop a feel is not classy, folks. So scary I remain, but ass-grabbable. I guess I can live with that. Maybe. For now.

Check out Momentary Academic's podcast if you get a chance. I'm trying desperately to get her to interview me, but she keeps claiming "technical difficulties." Her interview with our beloved GSR (whose blackmail-worthy mention of "stories" about me did not go unnoticed, young whippersnapper!) is particularly excellent.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Grad School Reject said...

If I had a quarter for every time I have referred to you as ass-grabbable I'd own my apartment in D.C.

And out of curiosity, are drinks a lot cheaper in the Dirty South?

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger B.K. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

Now that Chimmy has suggested a way, we can try it. If not, the simpsons are going to Atlanta!

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

GSR--I actually turned around to say hi to you when it happened, but it was a stranger!

MA--Awesome.

Chimm--thanks for that. I'm not really anti-grab, but the stealth grab is uncool. And surprising in a bad way, oftentimes.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

Oh, the stealth grab. Do not want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home