The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Whimsically Named Bars and Why They're Worth Visiting

I went back to the town where I graduated high school last night to see an old pal and her hubby. We decided to go out in the town where we grew up (or rather, where she grew up. I simply popped in for two years, snagged a diploma, and evaporated.) For those who wonder, I wrote briefly about this town last year. It's a . . . unique place.

The night wore on, as Jimmy Stewart enjoys saying, and I'll spare the gory details of our perambulations around the wooded glades and strip malls, until we ended up at a whimsically-named pub in town, shooting pool. I play abysmally unless I'm practicing, so I basically dragged my pal down while her husband cleaned our clocks. On the tvs downstairs were baseball games and the film Scary Movie. The pool hall area was all dudes except me, my friend, and the waitress. The dudes were nearly all married men gone to seed. You know who I mean. (I almost put a link here to a 10th High School Reunion picture I found online, but that seems . . . cruel.)
This is not us.

The scene in Scary Movie came on where the two women kiss. It's supposed to be a gross-out fest, there's a lot of tongue, a lot of saliva, and some mess when they finally part. When this scene came on, the entire bar--I'd say about 20 guys, dropped everything they were doing to watch. They laughed like hyenas--that nervous laugh that gets louder and louder in the company of other brayers. It's a lengthy scene, so this nervous man laugh went on for a while. Then the scene ended, the fellows all slapped backs and said things like "dude!" or "Wow!" or "Good lord!"
Also not us

Then, as one, they all turned to me and my friend. Crickets. A tumbleweed rolls by. I say to my friend out of the corner of my mouth, "we could pay off our student loans if we work this right." I mean, we're both attractive, both blondes, although she's more playboy bunnyesque than I am . . . And then the hubby--who is an attractive married man--walks between us, carrying a pool cue.

And . . . scene.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

Well, I guess I have not "gone to seed" yet, as the prospect of two women kissing seems only mildly entertaining. Definitely nothing to bray about...

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

Is it bad that I scanned the first picture for a solid minute wondering where you were and why on earth you were hanging out with those people?

Not to be all judgey or anything.

Oh, and my word verification is dqpyro. Dairy Queen Pyro? SWEET!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

You can never go home again, or at least not in the same way. :)

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

Amateurs, all of them.

Oh man! So awesome! Two women kissing! I must never have gone to college because I've never seen that before! This is the greatest thing since Beano!

You're right. You could've earned yourself millionaire status with the right play there. Or at least thousandaire.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Chimmy--Yeah, there was a sad desperation in their voices.

JB--My handy caption had no effect?

MA--Nor do I care to, as it turns out.

66--It was a weird moment. Never seen that many guys in such a weird, sad placec before.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

I always read the captions last.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home