The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Another step on the road to eccentric recluse

I sat on my couch last night as the finale for Lost petered out and said, out loud, "That's it, TV. We're through." All my shows have let me down: Grey's Anatomy (ridiculous, unbelievable, nonsensical ending(s), poor writing); Veronica Mars (comes back for a nanosecond, poorly plotted); well, there are a few others, but I knew they were bad going in. (Like I caught a random Smallville recently and they featured Bizarro Clark! Wooohooo! But the show's so awful. Yet I was delighted.)

But Lost took the cake. I know I'm not a fan from the first season, but watching the finale totally evacuated my desire to watch the previous seasons on DVD.* I'm going to have to get cable or just toss the whole appliance out. A window. Or something.

Bah!

*Why, you ask? [Spoilerettes] Because the "flashback" was obviously a flash-forward, which means the whole super suprise ending was telegraphed from the beginning; of course they didn't kill off Sayid and the other two, but there was no plausible reason why those Others didn't follow orders; there was no reason for Charlie to lock himself in the radio room instead of making a run for it; the deux ex machina moment with the VW bus was like a bad outtake from Stand By Me, as was the "you're too fat to help" scene with the poor large man; the ridiculous ghost scene with the little kid who got taken on the raft last? season and Locke throwing a knife at that woman was straight out of a bad horror film or a soap opera, a bad one . . .

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Reid said...

I have nothing to add on the subject of TV, but I did want to say that "It's not me, it's them" is now my all-time favorite post label.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger m.a. said...

I don't understand anything with the finales. Even Heroes let me down.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Claven said...

Season 2 of The Venture Brothers came out on DVD last month. You're welcome.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

Exactly, exactly, and exactly again. Ditto on Heroes.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

Personally, I loved the vehicular homicide moment. It came out of nowhere and provided me with a hearty laugh.

None of that show makes sense. Why are "the others" such pricks anyway? They have their own island. Can't they just bring a fruit basket and be nice? Just because you're on an island doesn't mean you have to go all Lord of the Flies.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

Actually, a lot of people think Tom and the other Others did follow orders. Prevailing theory is that they'd prearranged the fake out with Ben; hence Tom saying "He [Ben] doesn't know what he's doing. We should have actually killed them instead of putting three bullets in the sand."

So the fault lies with Ben and his inexplicable planning, not my beloved and late Mr. Friendly.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Reid--I seriously feel ANGRY at TV.

MA--It was a clustersmurf. I stopped watching Heroes when the cataclysm looked nigh.

Cliffy--Nice. I've been watching classic Peter O'Toole movies to try and kill the pain. Cartoons will help.

Buffalo! How are you, dear one? I'm glad you feel my pain on this.

Chimmy--Absolutely it was funny, but LUDICROUS.

JB--Oh yeah . . . see, the damn show is built for DVR. We simpletons with just "teevee" are smurfed.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Claven said...

Being the Doctor of the English language that you are, can you shed some light on "try and?" I have always been confounded by that phrase. Is "try and" a cultural shorthand or is correct? I always though "try to" was correct.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Claven--you're absolutely correct, but you must not try to parse the grammatical errors that run rampant through my blog posts. Next week, "fixing to . . ."

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Claven said...

Not hating one bit. I've just been curious about that one for a while. A personal southern favorite of mine is "I might right" do something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home