The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Disappointing, yet amusing

1. Going to a world premiere of a piece by some contemporary German composer in Charleston. I seated myself with my hosts, and prepared to be veerrrrrrry open to the new music. We sat through 30 minutes of a man hitting a wooden door with two staircase newels (or are those the posts? not the huge one, but the smaller ones). He hit it . . . interestingly, but he was hitting a wooden door with construction scraps for half an hour. I found myself longing for the Dvorak piece from the day before--the chamber music bit that made me cry. My conclusion: I am a fuddy duddy.

2. Cleaning up my nightstand and finding a pack of condoms that had expired. This is never a fun experience, because it gives a shelf life to things that we like to think of as timeless or at least attractive past a certain date. But then I remembered why I bought this particular pack and had to laugh and say, "thank god they're some left!." Hahahaahaha bad choices. My conclusion: I sometimes date bad bad men, but at least not for very long and at least I'm safe about it. New promise: buying the higher end stuff, sleeping with the higher end fellows.

3. Mr. Brooks, the film. I have loathed William Hurt for a long time, and Kevin Costner is a less-than-favorite actor. Yet, I liked them both tremendously in this film. What, are my tastes evolving? Shudder. Amusing? Demi Moore now has complete froggy mouth from whatever lifts she's had. Yet, she looks fabulous in a bathing suit. Tough call.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

This is why I steal all my condoms--if they expire, I don't feel bad about having wasted money on them.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger m.a. said...

"New promise: buying the higher end stuff, sleeping with the higher end fellows."

Thank you for that line. Thank you.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Yes. Sleeping with higher end men is a good idea. Then again, my commitment to this leads to some expired condoms... Eh. It's a trade-off I'll take.

I am intrigued by what makes a mouth froggy. Must see pictures. But if there's anything that can make me look as good as Demi when I'm in my 40s, you can expect to see me rocking a very froggy mouth 15 or 20 years from now... :)

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Claven said...

When I had to throw out expired condoms I spent the next month questioning what I had done with my life. Not fun.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

JB--Yeah, I never end up using the stolen ones. But it's a thought. Of course the number of theft opportunities are FEWER 'round here.

MA--I live to serve

MG--Her mouth is like a slit in her face now. She could seriously say "ribbit" without a problem.

Claven--EXACTLY. How have I been spending my time exactly???

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

Still have at least a year on mine! YAY!!!!

 
At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not a fuddy-duddy. Schopenhauer destroyed classical-style music.

Besides, fuddy-duddies don't have a sex life to require condoms in the first place, expired or not.

And tons of luck on the higher-end men (I'll forgo the obvious dual entredre's here) - sadly, lots of men that appear classier have merely polished the surface image a bit, so the luck may be needed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home