The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Thank god for Alabama

A friend of mine recently related a story. He was asked where he was from. In response to the news that he was from South Carolina, the questioner said, "I'm sorry!"

My friend was livid. I nodded agreement, though, having had to respond, "Interesting. I'm not!" to this line more than once about Georgia. But then I told him, "Hey, he was so wrong. I mean, you could be from New Mexico or Mississippi!"

But then, there's always Alabama, where a State Senator cold-cocks another one on the head on the floor of the State House. Apparently one made a comment about another's mama, and the Senator "responded to his comment with [his] right hand."

Thank you, Alabama. Thank you.

Image is from the announcement of Alabama's secession.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

I like imagine the pre-tussle insult being delivered in Foghorn Leghorn fashion.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Claven said...

This reminds me how much I miss Bob Dornan.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

Well, no one should be sorry about the state in which they were born, or the city. That's why I will defend Baltimore until I perish.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Megarita said...

LC--Absolutely. "Suhr, Ah Sayh Suhr . . ."

Claven--Your obscure political allusions never cease to perplex.

MA--I agree! It's why I'm glad I can still say, "well, we're still less fat and more literate than Mississippi!"

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

That's totally old school--I wish more state (and national) Houses still had routine altercations and floggings as part of their usual business.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

You just increased my respect for the state of Alabama by about tenfold. I often hear "I'm sorry" in response to my saying what university I went to. I wish I could respond to that comment with my hand (besides, you know, that surreptitious middle finger I'm so famous for giving).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home