The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Meg on the Barbie

A friend of mine who is a single mom sent up the Bat Signal last night--she needed someone to keep an eye on her 3 year old while she spoke to her lawyer, who was calling from overseas. I had just tottered in from an afternoon of teaching, and was lying on my couch with a chilled glass of sauv blanc on my tummy, but I said sure. I'm always terrified by what single moms go through (my therapist nods and smiles), and whenever I can lend a hand to my pal--who is a damn rockstar--I try and rally.

So off I went to play Barbies with my petite friend. I am typically the go-to Barbie grownup, because I had many, many Barbies growing up. I was anti-doll overall, but I found Barbie completely glorious. I had Malibu Barbie and that Texas winking Barbie with a horse and the golden glittery hair Barbie and more. I came of age in between the influx of feminism barbies, too. There were no Astronaut Barbies available, but I didn't care. I also had the desirable Barbie Townhouse with elevator. I'd like to add that I was an only child for 8 years. This Barbie gluttony ceased pretty quickly once the Hermano arrived.

I loved Barbie because she was (wait for it) normal looking. Now, given my fear of mascots, can you see how this makes sense? I don't like weird shapes and inappropriate intimacies with faux anthropomorphic creatures. I loved Snoopy, Theodore E. Bear, my Pound Puppies, my green velvet T-Rex named Godzilla, and Barbie. I refused to interact with Cabbage Patch Dolls or other freakishly weird dolls. Don't even get me started on baby dolls. My grandparents gave me one that ate and pooped (Here's the new Baby Alive, but mine didn't have the freakish anime eyes. That's so screwed up). This was amusing for about a day, but then even potty humor faded. This seems awfully consistent to me.

But I digress. I liked Barbie because she had fabulous clothes. We didn't do much, me and Barbie. We drove around in my friend M's Barbie 'Vette, we road on the beloved Palomino horse, Dallas. We dealt with boring old Ken, even though we weren't sure why and we were intensely perplexed about his crotchless nothingness. (I'd like to add that my family never gave me a Ken. I had a damn seraglio of Barbies, but no guys. I never realized this until now. Better call the therapist back!) But mostly I dressed my Barbies in their fabulous clothes.

My little friend last night had zero interest in clothes. We had adventures. But yet, this was also awesome. I'd be talking to the plastic kitty in the castle with my Barbie, and then La Petite would say, "Time to go to work in town!" And so I'd have to trudge off to town and . . . work? Barbie doesn't work! And then as I was coming home, I'd run into some kind of trouble, and she would have to come and save me. Her Barbie used her head as a weapon. It was . . . unsettling.

But the coolest part, I thought, was after being attacked by robbers, dinosaurs, and Giant Purple People Eaters (the wine kicked in around here, I think), we switched dolls so that "we both could have a turn being brave."

My Barbies were never brave. But I'm glad hers are.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger Claven said...

I get the feeling La Petite wanted a GI Jane rather than a Barbie. Or at least a Barbie with a kung-fu grip.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Fr. Scott said...

Wasn't Ken supposed to be, like, Barbie's gay BFF?
Maybe La Petite would really like the Kill Bill Barbie.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Claven--Or maybe Barbie's EVOLVING!

MA--How was everyone else having this enlightened doll action so long ago?

Scottie! You look like a pirate, baby! Ken was totally her Lovah, but how, we cannot tell.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

I'm thinking Barbie and Ken just scissored eachother.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

So you both could have a turn being brave? That's some heart melty goodness right there.

I too was a Barbie girl and not into other dolls (I had the Barbie Dream House, which my engineer grandfather assembled and then carefully landscaped). I loved to dress them up and have beauty pageants. Does this really surprise anyone?

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Oooh! Oooh! Also! My grandma bought me an Oscar de la Renta Barbie gown. I still remember it-- it was a sparkly blue and green one-shoulder gown. Fabu!

Okay, I need to stop.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

66--Oh man, am I going to have to look that up or something?/

MG--NICE. I knew somehow that you'd have my back on this. Nicely done.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

Just think of it like this...

You know on a pair of scissors where the two blades cross? If you had two pairs of scissors, how would you get the intersections of the blades on each pair of scissors to touch? If that doesn't help, they do it a lot in girl-on-girl porn.

Once you figure that out, I need you to:

1) Not be grossed out...

2) Not have your Barbie childhood ruined, and...

3) Not hate me.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Damn, I was afraid of that.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

I didn't manage to finagle a Ken until I was to the age when I really should've been too old for Barbies. Then I got the costume ball one, who came with a tux look, a sultan look, and a PIRATE look. I named him Poindexter, and he was engaged to Whitney (this was after I started refusing "regular Barbies" and buying only her non-blonde friends instead).

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Megarita said...

You're so po-mo po-co with your Barbies, JB.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home