The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Time to lay off the spanikopita

I woke up this morning at 10:30.

I typically don't sleep that late unless I've been out stirring up some trouble into the wee hours. The biggest trouble I got into last night involved a tinsel entanglement (the dangers of living alone---will someone find my glittering, rotting corpse in February? Oh wait, the neighbors have a dog! The pooch will smell me. Or hear me yelling. Or something.)

Regardless, I was in bed reading by 11 (the fabulous Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, a book I had picked up ages ago, declared "dull" and put back--it's actually marvelous. My bad!), asleep by midnight. When I woke up TEN HOURS LATER, I felt as though I'd been shot by a tranquilizer dart and worked over. My super-tar, high octane coffee is still not fully succeeding in cutting through the haze.

I think I slept so long because I was having a completely wacked-out dream. And some of you were in it. I've never met some of you, so this was a little weird. I'd like to assure you that everyone I read is attractive and smart--just like my flesh-and-blood friends--so there are no embarassing revelations to follow. Here's what I remember:

I was at an apartment complex in Athens, GA, where a friend of mine used to live. I met two old guy friends there, and my college roommate. We were all wearing disco-y outfits but the wrong shoes. (I was wearing a very Supremes minidress--silver spangly and very short.) But I only had green suede slides or sneakers to wear with it. Then we went to a party in what seemed to be a high school gymnasium/carnival. There was a swimming pool, a band, and lots of rides and weird hallways leading to other carnival games. There we met some guy who called himself Chimmy, saw Momentary Academic, and ran into another guy whose name I never caught, but I felt as though I knew him.

During various phases of the "party," I was clomping around in sneakers (ugly ones--like Reeboks from the 80s), or self-consciously wearing these unattractive olive green suede deals. JordanBaker encouraged me to take off my shoes, and I did feel better. I ended up in the pool in a dance scene straight out of It's a Wonderful Life and walked around a lot. I was having the trouble I usually have in dreams--I can't see well. I'm squinting all around but everything's really hazy or fuzzy. I hate that. So there were likely other people there who didn't tell me their names--hi, guys. Sorry for the squint.

6 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

That sounds like a good dream. I haven't had a dream about bloggers in a long time!

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

You left out the part about doing the Charleston and the midget.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

Encouraging people to take off bad shoes is exactly what I would do in that situation. Well dreamt.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

MA--Me, either, I think!

Cube--Hard to Charleston in bad shoes, and I hate midgets.

JB--I was amused to recall that detail. It is so apt.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Megan said...

I'm choosing to believe I didn't show up in this dream because I didn't have any ugly shoes to wear to the party. Darn me and my attractively fashionable shoes!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

I often can't see well in my dreams, too. Wonder what that means.

Love the silver spangly minidress, though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home