The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Thoughts from the First Day

First, to give you an overview, I slept 12 hours last night. 12 hours. Felt AWESOME. But teaching wears me out. I'm waaaaaay too active.

A few moments using my beloved bullet points:

*Many of these kids have never had early modern history or lit, so walking into my class and hearing me blather on about the Tudors or the Reformation or Spenser or something-not-Shakespeare really really makes them nervous. I've never seen such outright terror on people's faces. I liked it.

*Responses to the question, "What makes this poem British?" in my intro survey course:
1. "It's in English." Yes, good call. Way to dig deep, cap-boy #1.
2. "It's written way better than anyone in America would write it." Certainly any American in this class. No doubt.
3. "It mentions towers. Like the tower of England." Well, you might not be aware, but there are other towers in the world. Like the clock tower where you'll find me later this afternoon with a loaded high powered rifle, for example.
4. "Americans don't call ladies their 'mistress.' Or at least they don't write poems and stuff to them. Having a mistress is bad, you know, but the British people call their wives that and stuff." Cap-boy is on a roll.

*Response to my questions, "What do I mean when I say 'medieval'?"; "Who can tell me about King Arthur?"; "Who is Elizabeth I?"; "Who is Petrarch?"; "Tell me about Troy"; "What does India have to do with Britain?"; and "Why the hell should we read all these dead white British guys at all?"
1. Crickets
2. Crickets and a murmered "something about knights."
3. "A queen!" Oh, no, actually, I'm Meg XVI. Anyone can get a number.
4. Crickets
5. Crickets and a questioning, "trojan horse?"
6. Crickets
7. "Because they teach us about ourselves!" Oh, are you a dead white male aristocrat? I didn't realize! Or is that just your goal? It's good to have goals! Now get a new one.

Actually, it was a blast. Some of my students are hilarious, some are very bright and just need to be fed, some were surprised by my public shaming of their ignorance, and some are in for a loooooong semester. But it was good. Really really good.

5 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

You know what's funny? I'm not sure if I could answer what makes a poem British. God, I don't even know how I'd go about teaching that class.


What does it mean when you say medieval?
Is it bad thing? A good thing?

Elizabeth I was a queen! Woohoo!

M.A. 2.0 (I've gone all modern)

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Megan said...

You literally made me LOL with that tower comment. Amen sista.

I love the tales from the teaching trenches. I'll be starting my own in a week and a half. *shudder*

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

You asked about medieval and no one quoted from Pulp Fiction? What's wrong with these kids?

 
At 5:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WC: These kids were tinytots when Pulp Fiction came out - it's, yanno, old

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shanonymous said:

Blogger account?! I don't need no stinkin' Blogger account!

Actually, your asking these questions and getting the responses you got reminded me of:

BEDEVERE:
What also floats in water?
VILLAGER #1:
Bread!
VILLAGER #2:
Apples!
VILLAGER #3:
Uh, very small rocks!
VILLAGER #1:
Cider!
VILLAGER #2:
Uh, gra-- gravy!
VILLAGER #1:
Cherries!
VILLAGER #2:
Mud!
VILLAGER #3:
Uh, churches! Churches!
VILLAGER #2:
Lead! Lead!
ARTHUR:
A duck!
CROWD:
Oooh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home