The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

How the Wrath of God Descended on Megarita,

Or, How One Can Sit Through a Tornado Warning Without Knowing It.

I dodged a bullet last night, chiefs.

I lured my friend C. out for drinks downtown, because it was a beautiful warm fall day and momma wanted a V&T. She brought her new toy poodle puppy and we dished about boys while drinking $2 V&Ts. (Yeah, they were well drinks, but it's not like we were drinking well GIN or something. Please!)

It's sprinkling a little, but we're under layered umbrellas, so we feel no need to move. Plus, the pooch requires access to nature at times. Then this siren starts wailing, and we sort of mildly gaze around, wondering what sort of effete fire truck has a siren like that. It's vaguely alarming, but it's not raining or anything and it's not threatening or fearsome in any way, so we remain. Another round? Yes, please! Chat chat chat, nosh nosh, stir ice, rinse, repeat. It began raining with some fervor later, so we tottered inside and finished up there.

I get to work this morning and see headlines of TORNADO WARNINGS ALL OVER [CITY] WEDNESDAY EVENING. That effeminate howling? An air raid siren. Our deaths? Apparently imminent. I have to say in my own defense that I was sort of listening for the notorious "train" sound made by tornadoes and watching the dog to see whether she made any nervous motions. Neither happened. Some fellow who was obviously from out of town ran out of the restaurant screaming something along the lines of "it's a twister it's a twister!" a la Johnny from Airplane, but we paid him no mind. We thought him a poor wit and a drunk rather than the honest prognosticator of our untimely demise.

But, we lived. I know now that when the wheezing sound of the demure air raid siren is heard, one should take cover rather than order seconds. Or something. Cheers!

6 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger kris said...

That sh*t is no joke, Meggy Megs. After living in the south long enough, I had the mattress picked out that would cover me in the bathtub, candles on every windowsill, and the cats had been trained on our emergency measures.

Yeah, that last one wasn't quite accomplished before I moved north again.

Glad you are safe. :)

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

ideally, one should probably take cover and order seconds.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

You cannot be swept away before I come and visit you, damn it.

LOVE,

ME.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Kris--The sad thing is, I know! I've totally lost my edge. We had a terrible tornado when I was a little girl. I should know better.

JB--I agree. Restaurants should start serving specials.

MA--Trying!!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

"Some fellow who was obviously from out of town ran out of the restaurant screaming something along the lines of "it's a twister it's a twister!" a la Johnny from Airplane, but we paid him no mind. We thought him a poor wit and a drunk rather than the honest prognosticator of our untimely demise."

hahahahahaha

Glad you're okay!

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Megan said...

Hilarious. I have no idea what a tornado warning would be like, so I think I'd be right there with you downing V&Ts. Glad you survived!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home