Half a Year of Yes
I've promised myself that I will embrace my new location completely. The only way I know how to do this is to have a period of saying nothing but yes. Yes to every invitation I get from people at work and nice people I meet around town. Go to an election rally? Sure. Go to church with you? Ok. Have lunch/coffee/beer/cocktails? Absolutely.
It's not easy. I've got a nice-sized streak of introversion that makes me want to collapse on the couch some nights with a book or the New Yorker and just be silent. This is in addition to my secret streak of insecurity that sometimes whispers to me, "they're just asking you to be polite. don't intrude." This latter one is more nefarious and requires the greater effort to resist.
This week, I've been doing all right. I've made friends with my computer science neighbor down the hall, I've gone up and introduced myself to everyone I meet in my wing of the building, I've chatted with a bunch of different people in orientation, and I've even invited people I meet to coffee or lunch or yoga or a play or whatever. Sure, I've ended up eating what might have been the worst Mexican food I've ever had at the invitation of a woman who is obviously trolling for a wife for her live-at-home slacker son. And yes, I've gotten a cooler shoulder than I expected from some parties. And sure, there are a lot of married people in academia and they're sometimes awfully lame. But still, people are by and large very cool. In the next week I've got lunch plans with a chemist and theater tickets with a colleague, and the couple I had drinks with pronounced me "hilarious and fun." Here's hoping the word will spread.


7 Comments:
You are the Mothra of social butterflies.
I try to do the same thing when I move to new places. The one exception I make is that I don't accept invitations to go hiking, because no one wants to get to know me while I'm hiking.
LC--Awesome! Do I get the creepy twins in a cage, too?
JB--I have a similar rule about tennis. One person asked me about that, and I had to demur unless they were only lessons. I get ANGRY when I play tennis, and I'm really just unsafe to play a lot of the time.
That's exactly what you're supposed to do. Awesome! You'll get to know awesome people soon.
I think the half-year of yes will pay off. It sounds like you're making friends already-- and getting some weirdo meeting out of the way (slacker sons-- blech). Try not to worry about the jerks among them-- they will be fun for mocking later on, when your new friends are like, "ugh, you had to hang out with X?! We're so sorry-- we should have found you sooner!"
And I swear that one of these days, Jordan and I are going to roll down to GA in her tiny car, with one tiny duffel bag because there's no room for luggage in that thing...
Rewriting history. Taking Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No," and flippin' it. Wait. Wasn't that about drugs...or was it her fashion palette?
I so admire your boldness and wish I could commit to a half a year of yes. But my cautious Taurean nature - mixed with Aquarian aloofness - prevents me. As always, I worship you and protrate myself at your feet.
Post a Comment
<< Home