The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I really hope this isn't a sign

It's nerve-wracking getting a new phone number. I changed over my beloved, mathematically interesting mobile number to a local number here in the sauna they call Georgia. Or at least I thought I did. The School for the Gifted Office at WringtheirJugular Wireless seemed completely thrown by my request. So thrown that the "local" number they gave me was for . . . Virginia?

Do I take it personally? Even Cingular would rather I stayed in the mid-Atlantic? Should I become concerned that my usually very smart cell provider cannot figure out basic zip code and area code coordination?

My rage at the poor operator this morning has been tempered, however, by a decent workout at the local gym (hooray trials!) and my first hot shower in a week. I feel clean for the first time in days. Now I have to re-read Macbeth and some sonnets and ponder the meaning of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight for both intro level students and English majors--I'm teaching it to both of them to save a prep. Should be entertaining. "Why is he green?" "Why do you think he's green, Timmy?"

I'd like to add as an aside that someone down the hall from me in my department is blasting Pat Benetar's "Love is a Battlefield." Do I do the hooker shimmy dance made famous by that video down the darkened hallway and roll the dice? Or do I simply sing along from the relative privacy of my office . . . ?

7 Comments:

At 2:35 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

You've reached English department mecca. I always wonder why he is green. I've never come up with a good enough answer for myself.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

*It's too hot to shimmy. Sit in the dark and sing along.

*If you leave a message on your new phones that has "y'all" in it, we are coming down there to beat you silly.

*Focus on the bedroom scenes.

*To throw out something I always hear from my Southern Aunties, "Come heah and give me sum sugah." Don't use that in the classroom.

*Oh yeah, start drinking Coke in little bottles for breakfast.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

I think you have to go and make friends with anyone who'l blast anything on the radio in an English Department. Especially if it's Pat Benatar.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Megan said...

I really hope you did the shimmy. Might as well break in the new (to you) folks now, right?

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Respond to Pat with a little Michael Jackson "Wanna Be Starting Something", you might make a new friend.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Megarita said...

Update - turns out Pat Benetar was coming from downstairs. There was a reception for new students. But I realized that there are science people on my floor, which is . . . interesting.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

Science peeps? Show them your avatar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home