The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Porch settin'

Now, this is not to be confused with "stoop setting," a peculiarly Baltimore phenom. This is southern porch sitting. I did this last night with a couple in my department. We drank V&Ts and gazed out over their herb farm, I mean garden, while the ceiling fan spun lazily overhead. (Seriously, these guys are growing basil like they're running an Italian restaurant on the side. I told them they were going to have to install a ScareMeg in the yard, because I was going to raid their place like it was Mr. McGregor's garden and I was Peter Rabbit and go on a pesto rampage!)

Both of these guys are from "elsewhere," as is almost everyone else in the younger half of the department. We joked that this made me the goodwill ambassador from the south. They're in trouble if this is the case. I'm still speeding and tapping my foot impatiently in lines. This too shall pass, I hope.

In staining news, the stain still has not dried!?!? My colleagues suggested wiping them off a lot until they dry. Apparently I was a little too eager in my amateurish staining. This seems a feeble response to my apparently permanently wet shelves and dirty paws, but I'll try it. I have to clean my whole place up tonight anyway so that my NEW WASHER AND DRYER can have a friendly, clean space upon their arrival.

I am nearly faint with anticipation of their arrival. The man at Best Buy (Yes, MA, I went with Best Buy. Couldn't resist the siren song of savings.) had to basically hold my hand while we ran the charges for them. After it was over (and they're really quite reasonably priced. I feel good about it) he applauded my first appliance purchase. I needed a moment, let's just say that. I will also need a moment after I wash every textile in my house this weekend. CANNOT WAIT. I will be soooooo clean! And by then, perhaps i will be able to touch my shelves again.

3 Comments:

At 9:53 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

Well, I'm glad that you had fun buying a washer and a dryer. I'm sure that it will work out just fine.

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

Interestingly, porch sitting is not just a suthern phenom. Why I spent many a day settin on the porch when I lived in Cleveland. You just can't do it in the winter.

It is one of my top 10 things to do...

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

With the humidity, you may have to rent a big industrial fan to get the stain dried.

Oh, and the midwesterners love some porch too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home