Women on Women
But less hot than you think...
As I was waiting for my organic peanut noodles to cool (mmmm smugly vegetarian today after an evening of beer-n-beef), I started browsing the Post for some lunchtime reading. I stumbled across this: Saudi Women Rise in Defense of the Veil. In short, the article explores what might be a large number of conservative Muslim women in Saudi who are deeply upset by the recent trend toward allowing women to drive, to go without complete veiling, and other madcap scenarios.
In the spirit of reasonable disclosure, I've always found veiling fascinating, especially the argument put forth by women that the veil is not to hide them, but to protect them, which reminds me of that line from The Gift of Fear: "Men worry that women might laugh at them; women worry that men might kill them." I think there's something to that, but it's not something I'm exploring this instant.
What clicked for me as I was reading the report--featuring arguments from female scientists, lecturers, and bloggers--were the similarities between their arguments and some of the rhetoric of the anti-suffragists in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, or even the debates waged by anti-ERA ladies in the 1970s (e.g., Phyllis Schlafly, I believe?). Again you have women arguing against women on behalf of women. The anti-suffragists in particular rationalized their point of view with a belief in "domestic feminism," as Wikipedia describes it. In other words, women have complete freedom in the domestic sphere, so there is no need for such liberties elsewhere. Women are, above all, a helpmeet for men, and to compete in the same arena (like voting, working) would be a failure of duty. Of course, there's the idea that women are not as experienced or clever as men, and therefore should not have the vote. The cartoon above (if it doesn't work, it's here) from Harpers lampoons this agenda.
The article asserts that the conservative Saudi women are far from silent women who hide behind their veils in fear. Rather, the articles portrays several hugely outspoken and often professionally accomplished women who desire no outside influence on the expression and responsibilities of their faith, i.e., veiling, driving, politics, etc. Can the quasi-secular arguments of suffragism, and really feminism overall, be compared to the state of Muslim women? Saudi seems to have a unique place in this debate: Muslim women in the other major Islamic nations have far fewer problems with women in leadership positions, women driving, and going without the full niqab.
My dilemma (apart from being stuck in italics--sorry) is one that has bothered me since I got my minor in Women's Studies. How do you argue with women who are in a situation that they are better off out of it? It's so often the white Western feminists who dictate what liberty and libertation really are, and that has always troubled me. Yet, I will not accept the arguments of women in Northern Africa who speak on behalf of female genital mutiliation, for example. So I've got no moral high ground here, or even consistency. Only the sense that these Saudi women are either on to something, or they are horribly deluded about their lives. I don't care for either option, quite honestly.
But, my noodles are cool now. . .


8 Comments:
I spent six weeks in Jordan a few years ago - my aunt has family there - and the dichotomy between the older women (fighting for tradition), the women my age (fighting for Westernization), and the younger girls (rebelling against the trend towards Westernization) was fascinating. Thankfully Jordan is a fairly forward-thinking country and women walking around without hijibs (the head scarves; they don't wear the face-covering veils there) are not seen as anything particularly interesting or outlandish.
That cartoon is some funny shit.
My mother has spent the last 20-30 years trying to liberate my grandmother. Its been odd experience to watch this unfold. I see it more as a matter of my mother trying to unteach what my grandmother taught her. I've pushed my mom towards the alternative of just living by what she has learned. But hey, I have a penis. So what do I know?
Anyways, I see the conservative Saudi woman as haters. Yes, the acceptance of Western culture will ultimately erode their own culture. But on an immediate basis, how does another Saudi woman driving a car affect them? I don't think the US is going to send in a battalion of Mary Kay commandos forcing ALL Saudi women to wear WT make-up and drive pink Cadillacs. But maybe I'm being naive.
I never had any classes on Saudi Arabia or Women's studies, but I did have a lot of exposure to the study of "victimology." And, I find it really hard to draw a line of distinction between these veiled women and women who are victims of abuse...always rationalizing their circumstances. It is like they have Stockholm syndrome.
"As in Helsinki, Sweden."
AMG--I think that's exactly right--most of the other Islamic states are indeed more liberal about women, or at least the women who live there are more liberal in their ambitions or desires. Maybe "liberal" is the wrong word, actually...
Cliffy - Haters, huh? Yeah, I think they might be. But I air gets so thin up on my high horse sometimes...
Chimmy - It would be helpful for me if they were victims. I think I just envy the emphasis of their convictions.
Cliffy - Are you quoting a Bruce Willis movie? I'm a little fuzzy here...
What I find troubling about this sort of thing is the failure to recognize any sort of compromise. If you think wearing the veil or not voting or whatever keeps you "safe" and "feminine", then you* can decide to wear it or not vote without imposing that on other women who might want different things. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
*hypothetical you, not you you, naturally
JB - Exactly. This is what I failed to articulate. Exactly. That whole free choice thing. Word.
Having also minored in Women's Studies, I know what the discourses say. However...from childhood on, starting with the concepts of missionaries bringing the Christian faith to "heathens," I've had issues about Americans forcing their ideals on other parts of the world. If those women feel empowered being veiled, leave them to it, I say.
Post a Comment
<< Home