The next post, or,
the incidents that cure Megarita of her irrational fear of the Midwest.
So I loved Chicago. GAWD I loved Chicago. The wedding I went to? Ridiculously bad. We shall not speak of its awfulness. But Chicago? Freaking terrific.
Highlights:
1. Tut. Obviously. Of course I was somewhat letdown given the 30-year build up to seeing this exhibition. I wanted more hot sarcophagus action. But noooooo, those have to stay in Cairo. Yet, it was thrilling to see many things I'd only seen in books. Only one big disappointment: there is a shrine for a mannequin/doll thing made of gold that Carter found. The picture in the catalog I had growing up made it look as though this shrine was 6 feet tall. In real life? 2 feet tall. It looked like "Stonehenge" in Spinal Tap. So I stood there looking outraged until the audio tour (featuring the luscious dulcet tones of Omar Sharif) lured me back. Best discovery? Shawabtis. These were the doll-like figures buried with Egyptian nobles to keep them company and do their bidding in their afterlife. I would like an army of these little guys right now. "Yeah, I won't be at the defense. . .look for this little blue guy at the head of the table. He's my representative on earth." Also loved seeing SUE, the largest T-rex ever found. (Found by a WOMAN, I might add! I'm tempted to post the pic of me in front of Sue - I look like a delighted 12 year old.)
2. World Cup in Chicago bars. I watched the USA/Italy game in a bar called Duffy's in Lincoln Park. GREAT SPORTS BAR. Fabulous setting, great set-up of tables, terrific draft beer selection and a waitstaff who knows their stuff. Our waitress introduced me to one of my new favorite summer beers (whose name I now cannot find--it was a hefeweizen type beer with a name like Schwartz. Yummmmmmmm). We also caught the Brazil/Oz game in Millennium Park. Loves the soccer. . .
3. Architecture. Lord almighty I love the way Chicago looks. All that Art Deco/Art Nouveau goodness. I made my pal take a river tour with me to see the buildings from the river (which runs backwards! did everyone else know this? The city of Chicago made their river turn around to handle pollution -- they sent it all down to the Mississippi instead of into Lake Michigan. I guess this was old news, but I nearly fell off the boat when the tour guide told us this. My friend told me I needed to calm down, but I kept saying, "Do you know how hard that is!?!" Yes, friends, I am this fun to be around.) I was also warned that if I admired another light fixture I would be left in some unfortunate neighborhood wearing nothing but a cow bell. People are so sensitive.. .
My favorite building was the Chicago Tribune building, both because I love that the paper had a beauty contest to determine what plans to use and also because the building has pieces of other famous buildings stuck into its foundation. Mmmmm. . .journalism plus imperialism = delicious. I spent a long while circling the building looking at the chunks of the pyramids, Harvard College, cathedrals, battlefields, etc. I am convinced that every Tribune foreign correspondent for the last 75 years was sent out with a pickaxe to grab chunks of neat places, like some latter-day Kilroy.
4. Millennium Park. I loved the Bean (which is actually called Cloud Gate, fyi). It's a reflective chrome. . .thing that curves concavely on the outside and then becomes convex on the inside. The effect is very compelling. We were laughing with friends later when they asked, "did it freak you out when you walked under it?" and my date replied, "Yeah - I looked up and saw myself as an old man. That's some art." Seriously, it's mighty cool. Funhouse mirror meets high art. The LCD fountains and the Gehry amphitheater are nice and everything, too, but they're no Bean.
The wedding? Two words: "dry" and "Urdu." No more need be said.
And now. . .I'm off to San Francisco to visit my beloved hermano. I am this jetsetting.


5 Comments:
Sounds like somebody's next big academic job could be in the Windy City...
Glad to hear that football(soccer) is getting such a good coverage over there. Just a shame your in such a tough group. You need to score a lot of goals this afternoon to get any further - good luck ..
How can you fear the midwest? Everyone there is so . . .jolly.
Sounds like an excellent trip. Nice mental image of you and Sue.
And, btw, I am from the midwest. I ain't jolly.
Yay for loving Chicago! It's definitely one of my favorite cities in the US. I'd totally move there if it weren't for those pesky winters.
Enjoy SF! Give Claven a hug for me.
Post a Comment
<< Home