The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Well, this is awkward!

It would appear that God, too, hates freedom. I state this based solely on the wrath of [the aforementioned] storm that struck DC and MD last night right before the Capitol Fourth business.

Thankfully I was nestled in the reborn Capitol Lounge with a Hefewiezen, watching the Italy/Germany game on the edge of my seat until the (goddamn) Italians took it all away in the last two minutes of double overtime periods. Two goals, right on top of each other. I can't begrudge the first one: Grosso had been in the entire time, I believe. That's 120 minutes of running, people. Let the man have a kick! But it was a heartbreaker for the Germans. They played some nice soccer.

But back to the Almighty and his problems with liberty and justice for all. As the game was winding down, the satellite picture went down. There was nearly a riot, but then the entire bar just scooted around to look at the 2000 other tvs in the bar. But then an awed voice said, "Jesus. Look outside. . ." and we all turned to see a black sky outside the windows at the other end of the bar . Trees were bent, rain was falling sideways, and tourists were running for their lives. We all had a 2.4 second "Mmmmm. . .too bad." moment and then turned back to the tvs and our nachos. Tourists had to be evacuated from the Mall into the Smithsonian buildings! They went from 110 degree heat indexes to almost being struck by lightening. Like I said, somebody upstairs does not appear to be a patriot!

The rain actually broke the spirits of a few people--as we were walking back to the car in the light sprinkle that followed the rain, we ran across a woman who had at one time been reasonably attired. She was now wearing a bra and shorts and standing in a puddle in the middle of C Street, SE. She had obviously thrown in the towel. Or had forgotten her towel. She looked demented and drenched. Completely maniacal look on her face. We actually crossed the street to get around her.

But then the sun came out. Of course, the ground was soaked and there were many wet bottoms in the DC area, but we got to watch Stevie Wonder and. . .Elmo? on the Mall and then watch the fireworks. (Minor program note--the timing of the music-fireworks-1812 Overture was off. The music seemed cued for the PBS filming, and then the fireworks ended without music. Not whining, just saying I noticed, Capitol bitches.) As with any good fireworks display, particularly one accompanied by patriotic music by Sousa, I cried a little, much to the head-shaking perplexitudinality (woohoo!) of my friend. What can I say? I'm a sentimentalist. Can't hear that music, watch fireworks exploding over the Washington Monument, see kids clapping and leaping with joy, and not suddenly be overcome by Hallmarky feelings.

6 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

I'm tempted to start pretending I give a damn about soccer, just to prop the Italians and counter the massive anti-Italian bitchfest that I'm hearing non-stop this morning.

But I was never that good an actress.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Fr. Scott said...

I probably would have cried, too, under those circumstances. But then again maybe not if the timing was off for the music and fireworks display - I still would have been moved, but my offended aesthetic sense would have prevented this from outwardly manifesting itself.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger m.a. said...

um...the Italians took a lot of dives. I'm glad that you had fun with your halmark feeling. haha!

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

I listened to the fireworks from in front of my TV and thought about how lame I was for being too tired to go watch them. But there were two episodes of "House" on! I wasn't going out in the rain!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Claven said...

Those midday thunderstorm downpours where the sky goes to midnight are one of the few things I genuinely miss about the east coast.

I usually hesitate to pull for the Pasaenos because of the dives. However the bigger reason is that these are often the guys hitting on your girlfriend when you go to the bar for the next round.

Despite being half German, I rooted for Italy. The US is the only team the Italians haven't beaten thus far. But rooting for Germany in international soccer is like pulling for the Empire. They are typically a mechanical and rigid team...Germans through and through. The affectionate underdog story that was pitched about their team was bullshit.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

So THIS is where Megarita hides these days...

I have to say, I was rooting less for Italy (I don't like them either) and more against Germany. Grosso's goal was well taken and the 2nd goal on the counter was free flowing soccer at its finest.

I missed all the fireworks. Finding a restaurant in Fairfax city that actually had power took a lot of time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home