The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Speaking of meltdowns. . .

The World Cup final, which I kept on mute while I worked on syllabi (my students in the fall might be seriously screwed. I've got them reading a LOT), was exciting. Especially Zizou's strange, goatish assault on the Italian defender that got him kicked out of the game. I'm sure everyone has seen this footage on tv--head butt to the sternum as a farewell gesture. This man retired after the game, and this is how he leaves. Good gravy. (I'm not sure whether he's retiring from club soccer, too?) I know it's stressful in a game like that, but. . .wow. The French coach and the head of the World Cup organization both concluded that the Italian must have said something truly incroyable to set the French captain off like that. One statement that made me chuckle, though, was this: "He weakened his team. We know how sensitive the French are when they lose their captain."

Ouch! OUCH!!! Head butts all around!

3 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger m.a. said...

Yeah. The Italian player really must have said something terrible--involing his sister, wife, mother and some farm animals. He should have kept his cool, but it was kind of an awsome Wesley Willis way to leave the world of soccer. (Yes, he's retired from Real Madrid).

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

Did you see the post-match montage? The shot of Zidane walking down the tunnel after being sent off with the trophy in the foreground was well done.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

It was a nice head butt though...very well placed.

If they did that 3-4 times a game I would watch more soccer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home