The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And so endeth the transition period.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Honk if you love justice!

I visited a fuzzy-wuzzy organic granola furniture and housewares/coffeehouse this week with a friend. She's a fan of the owner and his taste in antiques, and I was out of coffee, so we went together to support a brand new local business and check out the surprising number of ways you can use flipflops to make area rugs.

While she perused the flax and hemp and recycled things, I trotted up to the coffee bar and asked what coffee they had for sale. After the prerequisite lecture about roasting (Starbucks overroasts!), grinding (Starbucks grinds too much!), and other points that ventured into the realm of the whiny, I asked through gritted, capitalist teeth whether I might taste a splash of their three best roasts so I could buy a bag for my own consumption.

Turns out they name their roasts after quirky ideas. They have a benevolence roast, a big city roast, and a justice roast. So OF COURSE I had to buy a pound of justice. This also had the unfortunate effect of making my brain fill up with quotes from The Tick:

"There'll be no justice of the peace for you! Just a big piece of justice!"

"Destiny has her hand at my back, and she's pushing."

"I'm taking off the kid gloves, and putting on the very mad gloves!"

"I hate broccoli, and yet, in a certain sense, I am broccoli."

(I had to look this one up to get it right. I particularly appreciate the use of the word "cotton"):
"Y'know, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding! Evil is just plain bad! You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it in the nose with the rolled-up newspaper of justice! Bad dog! Bad dog! And you don't do it for money. No! You do it for love! You know, I've learned something this week... on justice and on friendship, there is no price. But there are established credit limits."


And just so you know, Justice Roast is actually quite tasty. Far less bitter than Starbucks.


5 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger m.a. said...

Hahahahaha! I love the Tick. In a certain sense, I am broccoli too.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said...

I'm glad it inspired this train of thought, but I personally would've been driven to snap that they should just give me a bag of Insufferable Pretension so I could go home.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

I just ate broccoli. I hope I didn't hurt anyone in the process.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Megarita said...

MA--We are what we despise (Dear Dr. Sharpe. . .). I used to watch that cartoon and laugh my ass off. I might buy the DVD I linked to, actually!

JB--I was really close. If the disembodied voice of the Tick hadn't filled my head I might have lashed out. One of the baristas started riffing on angrier coffees, like Disenfranchised Roast, or Malevolent Blend. Hard to have humor in the House of Earnest.

66--You sick bastard.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

We are what we despise? Damn...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home